none
Does Excel 2003 work with Excel Services?

Question

•  

I have read some posts that Excel 2003 can work with Excel Services after you install the Office Compatibility Pack.  However, I have not been able to locate any official information on this topic from Microsoft.  What I need is a side by side comparison of what I can do with Excel 2003 vs. Excel 2007.  If anybody can post up a link to related info I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Monday, February 11, 2008 10:03 PM

All replies

• Using compatibility pack, you can just open Excel 2007 files with Excel 2003. You cannot use Excel 2003 files with Excel Services.

Madhur
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 3:25 AM
  • It works with 2003.

The only thing you cant do is set some publishing options. But other than that, if you have the compat stuff, it works.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 12:52 AM
  • Excel files from 2007 that are saved in 2003 format CANNOT be opened by a mail recipient using 2003. MSFT Compatibility hogwash! Oddly Word can be...and it doesnt spell check in French.  

Saturday, March 08, 2008 7:33 AM
  • Hi,

Shahar Prish - MSFT wrote:

It works with 2003.

The only thing you cant do is set some publishing options. But other than that, if you have the compat stuff, it works.

according to my experience the only thing which works is opening files in the new 2007 format, but this is completeley independent of sharepoint.

For me it would be very important to get the default excel viewer's menu entries "open snapshot in excel" and "open workbook in excel" working, but when trying I always get the complaint, that Office 2007 is not installed.

regards,

Gerald

Monday, March 10, 2008 7:25 AM
  • These two links from Microsoft should be helpful to get what you need:

Roadmap for publishing an Excel workbook as "one version of the truth": http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointserver/HA101744401033.aspx

Publish a workbook to Excel Services: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA100137751033.aspx

Note - Office 2007 Enterprise is required to publish a spreadsheet to Excel Services.

Hope this helps.

Ravi.

Monday, March 10, 2008 2:54 PM
  •  Gerald A. wrote:

Hi,

Shahar Prish - MSFT wrote:

It works with 2003.

according to my experience the only thing which works is opening files in the new 2007 format, but this is completeley independent of sharepoint.

For me it would be very important to get the default excel viewer's menu entries "open snapshot in excel" and "open workbook in excel" working, but when trying I always get the complaint, that Office 2007 is not installed.

regards,

Gerald

Try this with SP1 of the server-  I believe we solved the issue in there.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 5:59 AM