Warning - "The Owner of This Snapshot is Not the Same as the Owner of the Environment. This might cause issues if you want to run coded UI tests"

Question

• Hello,

While setting up the LabDefaultTemplate.xaml process I saw the following warning in the "Select environment snapshot" windows when selecting a snapshot made by the current user on an environment made by another user:

"The Owner of This Snapshot is Not the Same as the Owner of the Environment. This might cause issues if you want to run coded UI tests. For more information, click here".

The link directs to: "How to: Configure and Run Scheduled Tests After Building and Deploying Your Application" which contains no further specific information about this warning. My question is the following:

1) Is this fully unsupported? Is any information available as to the consequences of this use case? We have several developers and always maintaining such an environment owner - snapshot owner link may become difficult. I'm also finding it hard to work around the fact that non-owners of the environments can't make any connects (guest-based or host-based) to the network isolated environments in the Environment Viewer.

In total, though, there's lots of very impressive functionality here - just a few points I need help with as we're really trying to push the application.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 3:42 PM

Answers

• Hi TestUser1253,

The issue being warned about here is wrt. the type of remote desktop connection being made between the client and environment. See details here.

So if a non-owner takes a snapshot, on restoring you will find the screen to be locked, leading to failure of your CUIT tests unless the screen is unlocked again. If the owner of the environment takes the snapshot there should be no issues with others restoring to it.

You could update the owner of the VM using a ps script we have provided here.

Allen Mathias

Thursday, May 26, 2011 4:35 AM

All replies

• The information you are probably looking for is here (I think) http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee291332.aspx

HTH, Ian
    Friday, May 20, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Hi TestUser1253,

The issue being warned about here is wrt. the type of remote desktop connection being made between the client and environment. See details here.

So if a non-owner takes a snapshot, on restoring you will find the screen to be locked, leading to failure of your CUIT tests unless the screen is unlocked again. If the owner of the environment takes the snapshot there should be no issues with others restoring to it.

You could update the owner of the VM using a ps script we have provided here.

Allen Mathias

Thursday, May 26, 2011 4:35 AM
  • Hi Allen,

Even after running this script I still don't see the Owner of the environment changed. It seems to only change the owner of the individual VMs in the environment. Is there any way to make a group the "owner" of an environment in Lab Management / Microsoft Test Management so that any of several persons can take snapshots and run coded UI tests against it?

Thursday, June 02, 2011 3:16 PM
  • I'm with TestUser1253, I tried the above fix and it does not address the problem.  It essentially changes the VM owner in SCVMM, but Lab Manager still sees the 'Environment' owner as the original user, causing the same problem.

There must be a way around this, I certainly have more than one user that will be taking snapshots of our environments.   Can someone describe how to change the 'Environment Owner' without having to send it back to the library and re-deploy it as the new user?

Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:25 PM