none
What is the meaning of CI_FORBIDCUSTOMIZATION in the COLORINDEX enumeration?

General discussion

• In developing a Visual Studio package, I need to process COLORINDEX enum values.  Specifically, I am pulling COLORINDEX values out of ColorableItemInfo structures (where the type of the valid color fields are CT_COLORINDEX), and want to be sure I'm handling all possible COLORINDEX values correctly.  Most COLORINDEX values map to straightforward meanings (e.g., specific fixed colors or specific current system color settings), but I have not been able to find any documentation on the meaning of the CI_FORBIDCUSTOMIZATION value (other than the description "forbid customization," which doesn't really add information). 

Does this value have any meaning in the Visual Studio text editor context?  If so, what does it mean if I encounter this value? 

Thanks.

Thursday, January 09, 2014 11:41 PM

All replies

• Hi kengr,

Glad to see you again.

Concerning the meaning of the CI_FORBIDCUSTOMIZATION value,what I can find is the information in COLORINDEX Enumeration :Forbid customization.

After doing some research, I could not find any other related documentation.

I feel sorry for that I am not able to help you resolve the confusion.

Please consider putting up suggestions on Visual Studio UserVoice site ( http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio )  for this issue.

Sincerely,

Jane.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, January 10, 2014 7:49 AM
  • Jane -

Thanks for your reply. 

The documentation for this enum value is essentially non-existent, because the description is simply a restatement of the name of the item (or vice versa).  It sounds like your research efforts to find more had the same results as my research efforts...nothing.

I visited the Visual Studio UserVoice site you pointed to, and this looks like a repository for suggestions for possible future development of the product line.  But the question I have asked in this thread brings to the surface a lack of documentation for an existing entity.  Wouldn't this be more of a report of a "bug" in the existing documentation, rather than a suggestion for new product development?

• Edited by kengr Friday, January 10, 2014 4:18 PM
    Friday, January 10, 2014 4:17 PM
  • Hi kengr,

Thank you for your feedback.

For this MSDN-documentation related issue, I have submitted a  request internally and will change its type to "General discussion".

Best Regards,

Jane.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, January 13, 2014 5:54 AM