Data Source Wizard will not connect to any data source

Question

•  

I recently installed the Visual Studio Express 2008 editions along with their constituent components(help files, SQL Server Compact 3.5, etc.). As a person trying to learn the languages I followed the guided tours which they include. However when I reach the database samples and try to follow the instructions Visual Studio throws a "The system cannont find the file specified." error. This happens for SQL Compact databases and Access databases as far as I have been able to test. If I try to add a new database (Project -> Add New Item -> Local Database Template) a message appears saying "The data provider required to connect to the local data file could not found. The file will be added to the project but the typed DataSet associated with the file will not be generated."

Is this a bug with in Visual Express 2008? Or is there some other problem which I am unaware of? Microsoft's Bug Reporting feature appears to be unavailable as a link on Visual Express's Help menu. I have tried a reinstall of both Visual Basic Express 2008 and SQL Server Compact 3.5 and 3.1(2005). If anyone else is aware of this problem and knows of a fix, please inform me.

Thank You

Thursday, January 31, 2008 12:47 AM

All replies

• Do you have a 64 bit operating system?
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:30 AM
  • No, 32 bit Windows XP Media Center 2002 with the latest updates

Sunday, February 03, 2008 3:01 AM
  • Hi Atlantisbase,

Me too have the same problem. have you found out the solution ?..

thank you.

Dinesh.
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 10:24 AM
  • You might want to provide a bit more information as to the problem you are having (e.g. errors?).
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 12:19 PM
  • Hello Paul,

Iam using Visualstudio 2008 and sql server 2008. I created a windows application and tried to add the default and even my own sql server CE 3.5 database to my project. Iam getting an error "the data provider required to connect to the local data file could not be found. the file will be added to the project but the typed dataset associated with the file will not be generated".
    any idea?..

thank you..
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Do you know if SQL Server Compact Edition is installed on your system? You can either check in the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel or look under the Program Files folder to verify installation.
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 1:01 PM
  • Thank you paul i solved the problem. anyway i have another problem in insert query.. :):)
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 1:03 PM
  • You may want to post a new thread for your INSERT query issue if you are unable to resolve it.

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 1:36 PM
  • I am having the same problem with VS2008, sql server compact is installed, I added the reference but can't create any sdf file.  How did you solve this?

Thanks, Joe.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:57 AM
  • I would recommend using SQL Server Management Studio Express to create and manage your SQL Server databases:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=08e52ac2-1d62-45f6-9a4a-4b76a8564a2b&displaylang=en

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 11:55 AM
  • Hi,
    I have same problem now.
    I have the following installed:
    SQL Server 2k8
    SQL Server 2k8 Browser
    SQL Server 2k8 Management Objects
    SQL Server 2k8 Native Client
    SQL Server 2k8 Policies
    SQL Server 2k8 Setup Support Files

SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1
    SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 for Devices
    SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Server Tools

SQL Server Database Publishing Wizard 1.3
    SQL Server VSS Writer

Sync Framework 2.0 SDK (x86)

VS 2k5 Professional
    VS 2k8 Professional
    VS 2k8 SDK November 2k7

.NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP3 Developer
    .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2
    .NET Compact Framework 3.5

.NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Could you please help us?

does not have info on how to set up compact db?
    Thanks.

Monday, January 18, 2010 5:27 PM
  • So, I installed VB Express 2008 on 32-bit Windows XP SP3 and let it install SS Compact Edition 3.5 SP1. I received the same data provider error. I found a standalone version of the same SSCE at the MS Download Center and installed it. Still had the error. Uninstalled all the VB 2008 entries (not the SSCE entries) in the Add/Remove Programs window. I also found a VB 2005 redistributable entry, which I also uninstalled. Re-installed VB Express 2008. The data provider error went away. I don't know if all these steps were necessary.
    • Proposed as answer by John61 Monday, March 08, 2010 1:13 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:43 PM
  • You have to change the advanced compiler option to x86 instead of any CPU.

There is currently no provider for 64 bit editions so you have to lie to the compiler.

Adam
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:51 PM
  • Could you please tell me where to find or how to access the advanced compiler options?  There IS an SQL Compact 3.5 64 program (requires that you install the X86 first) and I have both - have also set up a database using SQl Server Management Studio 2008.  Still when I try to create a new database or access the one I created in SMS08 I also get the message: "

The data provider required to connect to the local data file could not be found. The file will be added to the project but the typed DataSet associated with the file will not be generated.

I had about decided this is a bug in the VB software.  Search "data provider" and you don't find anything helpful - or perhaps find too much - but never any mention of how to set up "data providers" (other than ODBC).

Thanks,

John
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:37 PM
  • Tools...Options...Projects and Solutions...General...Show advanced build configurations.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 2:54 AM
  • I had the same problem and never could resolve what caused it but downloading and installing VB 2010 Express Beta made it go away.  I am convinced there is/was some problem with the VB 2008 Express data connection.
    Monday, March 08, 2010 1:15 PM