none
copy subsite and accessing the template

Question

• Hello,

I made a copy of a subsite and I can see it in the solutions folder.  Now I'd like to try to create a subsite using this template. But, I don't see it in the list.  The only template I see is for a Publishing site.  I'm wondering if I should have done this differently?

THanks!

mhoran

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:45 PM

Answers

• It could also be an issue with your template depending on what it was created with - if the site has been created then it could be looking for the homepage and has misplaced it.

Try going to a static page like the Site Settings page;

http://portal.contoso.com/yoursite/_layouts/settings.aspx

If you can get to this page then it could be an issue with your homepage or your page layout - try changing your homepage to something else from the Look and Feel menu > Welcome page.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:49 AM

All replies

• Have you activated the solution after uploading it?
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:48 PM
  • yes, it was activated. I have publishing enabled, does that have something to do with it?

mhoran

• Edited by mhoran Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:10 AM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:09 AM
  • Did you activated the Web Template feature??

There you be a feature created through your solutions.

#RoHsTr

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:52 AM
  • Hi mhoran,

I would also check if the new template is allowed to be created via the "Page Layouts and site templates" menu under Site Settings > Look and Feel

If the setting has been changed so subsites can only use specific sub site templates then this could be your issue.

Cheers

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:05 AM
  • I was able to see the template I created and went through the steps to create a site, but when I try to go to it, it gives me a page not found.  Also I noticed under Manage Content and Struture, the icon for this site is of a different type.  Instead of being a type of 'site' it displays type:Sharepoint site.  I don't know what this means at the moment.  I still must've missed something important. thanks-

mhoran

• Edited by mhoran Wednesday, August 28, 2013 3:39 PM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:49 PM
  • It could also be an issue with your template depending on what it was created with - if the site has been created then it could be looking for the homepage and has misplaced it.

Try going to a static page like the Site Settings page;

http://portal.contoso.com/yoursite/_layouts/settings.aspx

If you can get to this page then it could be an issue with your homepage or your page layout - try changing your homepage to something else from the Look and Feel menu > Welcome page.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:49 AM