Cannot Correct RunTime Error MCI32.OCX.

Question

• I'm getting the error Message: component 'mci32.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid when a program I have been using for years that is a custom program application tries to load at startup.

I have completed every step that I researched to no avail.  I've uninstalled, restarted then reinstalled it.  I copied another mci32.ocx file and placed it in the Windows/System32 folder.  There was no other mci32.ocx file that I had to rename.  I then finally, I did a run: regsvr32.exe C:\windows\system32\MCI32.OCX

All to no avail.  I'm at a loss at this point.  I even ran a registry cleaner.  My software is an application monitor that notifies me of appointment requests from which I can manage appointments made directly from my website.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.  It works fine on my PC running Windows XP Pro.  The original programmer is long gone.

Beverly

Sunday, January 23, 2011 11:25 PM

All replies

• Hi blossomthyme,

What OS are you running your application on? 32-bit or 64 bit? If you attempt to run Regsvr32.exe to register a 32-bit DLL on a 64-bit version of windows, you will receive the error message. I have found two related KB articles you may want to read.

Error Message When You Run Regsvr32.exe on 64-Bit Windows http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282747
    Explanation of Regsvr32 usage and error messages http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249873

I hope this information is helpful.

Best Regards,

Kee Poppy [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:31 AM
  • Thank you Kee,

I am running Windows 7 64-bit.  I'll follow the links you provided and see what happens.  I'll let you know.

Thank again,

Beverly

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:16 PM
  • Hello,

I read the articles but it states that the resolution is the following:

• To resolve this issue, run Regsvr32.exe from the %SystemRoot%\Syswow64 folder. For example, type the following commands to register the DLL:
    • cd \windows\syswow64
    • regsvr32 c:\<var>filename</var> .dll

Is the MCI32.ocx the same as a .dll file? and I would substitute filename.dll with mci32.ocx?

Thank you
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:37 PM
  • Hi blossomthyme,

Under your case, yes, substitute the filename.dll with mci32.ocx to see if it works for you. Also, please have a look at this thread regarding how to install ocx file. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/thread/11856c24-be45-4595-9e92-3b9cdfe57266

Best Regards,

Kee Poppy [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 3:06 AM
  • Could possibly give me the exact cmd I should type in the elevated command prompt?  I'm also confused because one article talks about registering the file, and the above-referenced article talks about unregistering it.

I've tried both commands and nothing happens except to say there is no such command.

Thanks,

Beverly

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 4:29 PM
  • regsvr32 .... is registering file.  regsvr32 /u .... is unregistering file. 

You  should register the OCX.

Best day, Best life
    • Proposed as answer by Jarrey Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:26 AM
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:26 AM
  • Hi blossomthyme,

Please have a try with c:\windows\syswow64\regsvr32 C:\windows\system32\MCI32.OCX

Kee Poppy [MSFT]

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:55 AM
  • I was having the same problem (on 64-bit Windows Server 2008 R2) till I moved MCI32.OCX to the Windows\SysWow64 folder AND ran regsvr32.exe from that folder.

Friday, November 23, 2012 3:54 PM