none
Integrate data from other applications into TFS database

Question

• Hi,

I have developed one application using TFS API. I customized the TFS process templates. The requirement is to get data from TFS database and from my application database also.The problem I observed is I am not able to get TFS database from my application, so not able to do any kind of relationship between the tables.From sql server management studio I can see all the inserted/modified/deleted records, but unable to access these tables from my application.

Please help me for this issue.

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Ramesh Burnwal 

Monday, August 26, 2013 11:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Ramesh,

I'd like to know how do you use TFS API. If you want to use the data from TFS database to integrate with your own data, it's more related to Ado.Net. You can open a new thread at data platform forum at here for a better response. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Ramesh,

Why do you need to connect to database directly? why you just use the API?

And how you are connecting? please provide us with the code and a screenshot of the error if they any?

Regards

Monday, August 26, 2013 11:46 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Actually I want to merge data from TFS database and my own database, for that I want to access TFS database. Right now I am able to get TFS data by using WorkItems table only.Is it possible to get access of the TFS database tables directly from the application.

SELECT * FROM WorkItems

SELECT * FROM WorkItems WHERE [System.TeamProject] = 'testProject'

Instead of this I want to use TFS tables like WorkItemsAre and WorkItemsWere.

Thanks and Regards,

Ramesh Burnwal

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:57 AM
  • Hi Ramesh,

If you are insist to not use TFS API, don't use the operation database, and user tfs_warehouse database.

TFS operation database schema might changed with updates, and it's hard to read. while the warehose has less tables and more easy to query.

There are 2 tables that might help you, Dimworkitem, and Factworkitemhistory

Regards

--------------

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:24 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response.

My simple question is I have created one custom application using TFS API. I want to access/use Tfs_DefaultCollection database(TFS Database) tables in this application.

Thanks in advance for your kind help and support.

Regards,

Ramesh 

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:28 AM
  • Hi Ramesh,

I'd like to know how do you use TFS API. If you want to use the data from TFS database to integrate with your own data, it's more related to Ado.Net. You can open a new thread at data platform forum at here for a better response. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:39 AM