How to edit ico files in the solution?

Question

• When I double click on my application icon in solution explorer, it comes up in MS Paint, not in VS.net's icon editor.  I checked file associations, and ICO files were not associated with anything, so I set them to VS.net -- made no difference.

Tried Open WIth.. "Resource Editor" (Is that what the icon editor is called?) get modal message box "This file cannot be opened with the selected editor".

Now if I reset the application to not have an icon, and attempt to edit the ico file, it opens with paint.  How do I get it back in the icon editor again?

Thanks in advance this seems like it would be so easy...

Monday, November 06, 2006 9:24 PM

All replies

• Moved to Visual C# IDE forum.
    Tuesday, November 07, 2006 7:03 AM
  • Hmmm, Are you sure its an Icon file not only with .ico but also internally? By the way Visual Studio is a poor Editor for Icons specially working with trasparency... I would rather recommend using IconXp the best Icon Editing software I have ever seen!

Best Regards,

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 5:06 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  As far as I know only an icon file can be used for this purpose (Application icon) -- the file came to me from another team member so I assumed it as an ICO file.  Are you saying that I can have, for example, a JPEG file named ICO and it will go in as the application icon?  Hmmmmm

Alan

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 1:40 PM
  •  Alan Robbins wrote:

Are you saying that I can have, for example, a JPEG file named ICO and it will go in as the application icon?  Hmmmmm

Alan

Yes I was meaning that. Any how I did a little test. I had an icon file, I double clicked it and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer opened. I right clicked on the file and select edit, MS Paint opened up.

I went to Folder Options, File Types Tab, Selected Change in Open with Section, Selected .ico file, from Programs I selected Microsoft Visual Studio 2005. Clicked ok to apply settings,

Then Again I right Clicked the file and select Edit. Now its opened in Visual Studio for editing.

Does this help you if you follow the same thing?

Best Regards,

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 5:38 PM
  • My File types association for an ICO file is already set to Visual Studio 2005.  I reset it, it still comes up in paint.  Went into the registry, found the entry, deleted everything but DevEnv.exe as the opener, it comes up in paint.  I open the ico file in VS2005 (File/Open/File) it pauses for a second and then launches paint.   Can't understand what the developers were thinking with that one -- if I wanted to open it in paint I would have opened it from paint :-)

From the project properties application properties dialog if I try to put a jpeg, png, or bitmap in as the application icon I get a critical stop modal message box "<Path> is not a valid icon file" so if you can use anything other than ICO format I'm not sure how I can use any other format other than ICO for the application, particularly given that exe file header format dates back to Windows 3.1...

I'm going to deinstall .net to get rid of SP1 (Beta) and see if that helps.  It's always the little stuff that trips ya up.

Thanks for trying though

Friday, November 17, 2006 6:18 PM
  • "I'm going to deinstall .net to get rid of SP1 (Beta) and see if that helps.  It's always the little stuff that trips ya up."

You are using Beta, Hmm this may be a bug in that,, Try to install Release version of Visual Studio, but Icon is not a problem, there are 100's f software to create icons which you can use in your application, Search google for IconXP, create an icon (Very simple) and use it to put it on Form!

I hope this will help!

As I mentioned earlier Visual Studio is not good for creating nice Icons!

Best Regards,

Rizwan

Friday, November 17, 2006 6:59 PM
  • Thanks I hear ya -- but when there's only one place left in MS land where ico files are used.... was nice to have a quick and dirty editor in VS.

Monday, November 20, 2006 2:26 PM