no "open file/project" dialog in VS2010 RTM ?

Question

• hi there

when i select

• "File->Open->Project/Solution..." or
    • "File->Open->File..." or
    • "theme -> customize -> import" 

does not display a file open dialog box. The toolbar button for the equivalent action also does not do anything. The IDE window will flash breifly as if it is opening the dialog, but then goes back to normal (under windows Aero, with dual monitor)

however, if i change it to windows 7 basic theme, the same thing will happens, but there are different error dialog pop up at each of above:

• "the operation could not be completed. ClassFactory cannot supply requested class"
    • "Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID {DC1C5A9C-E88A-4dde-A5A1-60F82A20AEF7} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: 8004011"

however the open file dialog seems to work fine in any other applications (including VS2008)... any idea ?

thanks in advance

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 7:44 PM

Answers

• You are using notebook? You have closed "Tablet PC Input Service" service? If the closed and opened to try!

So I solve!

• Marked as answer by jojo665 Sunday, April 18, 2010 6:47 PM
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 1:25 PM

All replies

• Your installation probably has some problems. Is it possible for you to reinstall Visual Studio?

Li Shao, MSFT

Li Shao
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 3:04 AM
  • i did a "repair" already -- should i uninstall and reinstall ?
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 7:48 AM
  • I have the same issue.

Before install the RTM I have unistalled Windows Phone SKU, old RC, all related .NET Framework 4. I have tried unistall/install and reinstall. I have tried to remove all temp folder, program data folder, local settings folder, run devenv /resetuserdata but the problem still remains.

I have Wiindows 7 x64. Any idea?

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 11:20 AM
  • I believe this is a set up issue due to some previous installed/uninstalled components. You may want to post question to http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/setupprerelease/threads to see if anyone knows any workaround to clean up the previous installation.

Li Shao, MSFT

Li Shao
    • Unmarked as answer by jojo665 Sunday, April 18, 2010 6:47 PM
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 3:50 PM
  • You are using notebook? You have closed "Tablet PC Input Service" service? If the closed and opened to try!

So I solve!

Sunday, April 18, 2010 1:25 PM
  •  

thanks Scalenx !!

you are absolutely right. that's the issue -- once i restarted 'tablet pc input service' and restart VS2010, the 'open dialog' work again. weird that it only affect vs2010; and not any other version ;-P

Sunday, April 18, 2010 6:47 PM
  • This is unfortunate. I have the same problem, but I intentionally disabled the tablet pc input service (I'm on a desktop, I think my Wacom is causing that to start up) because it's negatively affacting some of my other softare.

Is there any other way around this issue?

Monday, April 19, 2010 4:48 AM
  • Previously, I and you are same, I very depressed, but not so willingly, I search for many web pages, but there is no solution, so I decided to survey myself.
    My notebook have a writing pad, But I don't use the writing pad, so I closed the "Tablet PC Input Service".
    I found the "devenv.exe" will execute the "wisptis.exe".
    I know that usually "wisptis.exe" was executed (by) "Tablet PC Input Service".
    So I open the "Tablet PC Input Service" try.
    Results: Let me surprises and happy! My problem is solved!
    Monday, April 19, 2010 5:48 AM
  • Haha, that's some very good detective work. Here's something I'm wondering...

We know that having the tabletpcinput service and disabling it is bad.

But... what if it's uninstalled?

I'm wondering if maybe Windows is getting confused by having the service, but disabling it... maybe not having it at all is better. There may be a way to get rid of it in add/remove?

Monday, April 19, 2010 6:48 AM
  • I Think: if no "wisptis.exe" and have "Tablet PC Input Service" is good, if no "Tablet PC Input Service" and have "wisptis.exe" is bad. Because that is "devenv.exe" need "wisptis.exe".

HEHE!
    Such as:
    I From Place A to Place B, I can drive or walk.
    If no highway, I can choose walk, and I can arrive Place B.
    If have highway, but the highway is incomplete, I choose drive, ...but I can not arrive Place B.

Monday, April 19, 2010 7:59 AM
  • You are right, this problem don't occure only on netbook!

I am on desktop too, and the "TabletServicePen" Service of my Wacom was the problem... After switching it off, everything rules! 

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:09 AM