none
DreamSpark: Error Unpacking Windows 8 x64 .sdc file

Question

• I get the following error when I try to download Windows 8 from the DreamSpark site.

I sent an email to DreamSpark support and they said to post here. I’m currently running a Windows 8 Release Preview.

Things I’ve tried based on other similar sounding issues on the forum:

• Re-downloading “Microsoft_Windows_8_Professional_64-bit_(English).exe”
    • Tried from another machine (Windows 7 Pro)
    • Booted cleanly (only MS services started)
    • Disabled firewall/anti-virus
    • Plugged my ethernet cable directly into my cable modem to bypass potential router issues
    • Changed download locations
    • Tried to download at 4AM EST to hopefully maximize bandwidth

Just looking for more suggestions or alternatives before this eval version expires.

Friday, September 14, 2012 8:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• Dear Eric,

Can you try downloading a small file in order to confirm whether it affects based on the filesize. Additionally try the following thread last post solution.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/feb65c2a-ff09-4203-940f-d5f9ca942251/

"Please boot the computer in Safe Mode with Networking, then try to download it again."

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Friday, September 14, 2012 2:40 PM
  • I was able to successfully download 3 other ISOs ranging from 900 MB to 2.9 GB. I did receive the same error on SQL Server 2012 however.

I restarted in safe-mode, and retried the Windows 8 download and received the same error.

Friday, September 14, 2012 6:47 PM
  • Eric,

can you forward the email you received from DreamSpark support to sbpfeedback at microsoft dot com, and include a link to this thread?

You're using a different system to download files from DreamSpark than the one we support here, so I need to find the right place for you to get help.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Monday, September 17, 2012 1:16 PM
  • I would but I received an error sending an email to that address.

<sbpfeedback@microsoft.com>:
    Remote host said: 550 5.4.1 sbpfeedback@microsoft.com: Recipient address rejected: Access Denied [RCPT_TO]

Anyway, here is the initial response I got:

Hello Eric,

Thank you for contacting DreamSpark Direct to Student Support.

We assist currently-enrolled students in receiving access to software available on our website, www.dreamspark.com.  For assistance with your inquiry, please visit the MSDN Social Forums, where many community experts and Microsoft Engineers can be of assistance to you.  If you need additional technical support, including finding your local customer support phone number, please visit Microsoft Support.

Thank you for contacting Microsoft. If you have any questions or run into any issues along the way, please contact us.

---

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:34 AM
  • Hello,

I am having the same issue. When I start downloading windows 8 64 bit, after about 60% it starts unpacking. After that I get the message saying that an error has occured. I have tried downloading from 2 different laptops, both with windows 7 64 bit on it, and i get the same error. Below is the screenshot of

the displayed error.error image

can someone please help me?

Kind Regards

oumo

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:56 PM
  • Eric,

Sorry I gave you the wrong address!  Didn't realize it.  Its sbpfdbk, not sbpfeedback.  

Thanks
    Mike

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:01 PM
  • I have got the same problem as you. In google I can;t find any solution :/
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 10:05 PM
  • Same problem here, getting a "CRC not valid2" error in the log. Any suggestions yet?
    • Edited by hotts23 Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:38 AM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:37 AM
  • Hi lukaszejmo and hotts23,

try to download in safe mode with networking again. it worked for me;)

Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Nope still not working, thanks for the tip though. Wish this would get resolved.
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:04 PM
  • So I got it to work....by downloading the file onto a Mac and transferring it over...go figure. :p
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:53 PM
  • I have the same problem :/ 

I'm on Windows 7 x64, SP1, NTFS disk

The downloading stops exactly at 2147483647 Bytes (eight Mersenne prime ... guess why :) ) and then it tries to calculate CRC, which fails. Yes I'm sure the disk is NTFS.

Is it possible to download iso from linux? 

Monday, October 08, 2012 1:08 AM
  • For folks stumbling across this thread with technical issues downloading from ELMS, dreamspark@kivuto.com for assistance.

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, October 15, 2012 2:05 PM
  • I have problem, my download is finish en_windows_8_x86_dvd_915417, and i get this message

• Unpacking error. The product did not unpack correctly. Please download the product again.
    Friday, October 19, 2012 6:25 PM
  • Hi i just got my windows 8. there isnt much point contacting customer support. but the best thing to do is to start your computer in the safe mode with networking and then download it. Worked for me. 
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 11:19 PM
  • hmm, ok, i will try download it in safe mode
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 11:55 PM
  • but even safe mode is not working...
    Monday, October 29, 2012 12:26 AM
  • It happens exactly the same thing for me, and I also tried everything from 3 different machines with different systems (windows xp, windows 7) for about 6 times, with the same result.
    Monday, October 29, 2012 9:17 PM
  • Has anyone found a real solution for this other than safe mode? Like many others, I've tried that route plus trying the download on different machines and different networks. Same error as the op each time on the unpacking stage.
    Saturday, November 10, 2012 3:23 AM
  • I was at this for a good 2 days. Uninstall and re-install the download manager. Get Google Chrome and try the download again in Chrome. Worked for me. Then after you burn your iso... uninstall Google Chrome :) Just cause.... lol.
    • Proposed as answer by 1qw Monday, November 26, 2012 11:26 AM
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 3:23 AM
  • Kyleb can you post a complete guide of the Google Chrome technique? I have anidea of what you mean but it would need combining and unpacking...can you please enlighten us?
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:07 AM
  • Yeah, i have seen people telling "it works with firefox" and now you say about chrome.

In order to download product from DreamSpark i have to download and install Secure Download Manager, then i download SDX file of my product and it opens up with SDM?

Then how are we suuposed to open it with chrome or firefox?

Friday, November 30, 2012 7:07 PM
  • Thanks for your post and sorry about the frustration.  Please see my post here for more info on DreamSpark Download issues:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msdnfeedback/thread/734791a6-ecd0-4c4d-9d98-45394f201ef5 

Thanks,
    Mike

Friday, November 30, 2012 8:16 PM
  • hey guys finally found the solution...

all the errors is not because of any other problems but because of the internet connectivity. to easily download make sure you follow these steps

1. its better you turn off the windows firewall
    2. now download the file
    3. and while downloading do not touch anything on the download screen
    4. never pause the download nor close it(if by any chance it happens then just delete the sdc file and start download again, trust me if you continue downloading the same it will never be successful in extracting)
    5. its better you keep the download while you're sleeping or going away and remove the sleep option in the computer's in power options.
    6. and i would suggest you keep the dreamspark account page(signed in) in the browser as it is.
    7. trust me this worked for me after trying the other methods for like a thousand times 

hope it helped all of you please vote up if it did and post this on other sites too so that more people are benifited.

thank you

• Edited by SHAMMI(MJ) Sunday, December 02, 2012 3:13 PM
    Sunday, December 02, 2012 3:12 PM
  • hey guys finally found the solution...

all the errors is not because of any other problems but because of the internet connectivity. to easily download make sure you follow these steps

1. its better you turn off the windows firewall
    2. now download the file
    3. and while downloading do not touch anything on the download screen
    4. never pause the download nor close it(if by any chance it happens then just delete the sdc file and start download again, trust me if you continue downloading the same it will never be successful in extracting)
    5. its better you keep the download while you're sleeping or going away and remove the sleep option in the computer's in power options.
    6. and i would suggest you keep the dreamspark account page(signed in) in the browser as it is.
    7. trust me this worked for me after trying the other methods for like a thousand times 

hope it helped all of you please vote up if it did and post this on other sites too so that more people are benifited.

thank you

• Edited by SHAMMI(MJ) Sunday, December 02, 2012 3:12 PM
    Sunday, December 02, 2012 3:12 PM
  • 1st problem:

If you are logged in at dreamspark account you get auto logged out every 10-15 minutes so you have to constantly refresh page to get logged it

Also, i was doing it all before and didnt helped. You didnt do anything and then download was stuck on XX% for several hours.

You say its internet connectivity problem? WRONG, its problem of that download manager we are forced to use.

"never pause the download" - sorry, but isnt the main feature of download manager to resolve paused downloads?

"dont touch anything on download screen, turn off firewall" - there are multiple other download programs that are workng fine with touching everything and haivn firewall up, its just that dreamspark download manger have problem

So please, dont say its "internet connectivity" problem beucase its not true, its problem of dreamspark/dreamspark download manager (Secure Download Manager) and untill they will fix something that causes all of it, all we will have will be just some "steps" to make download probably complete but nothing to make it always work.

Sunday, December 02, 2012 4:59 PM
  • The downloader is broken if you install it to a location with too long of a path name.  Uninstall the downloader and reinstall in your C:\ drive.  Download your .sdx file to your C:\ drive and then run it.
    Monday, December 10, 2012 7:41 PM
  • I got all these errors,Unpacking ,crc error and also it was stopping on 67% sometimes,I found a way around this and I am now running Windows 8 Pro.Here is what to do, 

1.Dont download through dreamspark ,go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy and download the upgrade assistant.

2.When this downloads enter the product key on your dreamspark product and It will install a clean version of Windows 8 Pro.

Came across this by chance and I hope it helps you guys out !

Thursday, January 03, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Everyone having issues downloading from DreamSpark, 

Please see the updated post at the top of this thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msdnfeedback/thread/734791a6-ecd0-4c4d-9d98-45394f201ef5

Thanks!

Mike

Friday, February 08, 2013 10:43 PM
  • This worked for me
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:27 AM
  • I was having the same issues with Dreamspark unpacking errors and downloads sporadically failing from the Technet download area. The workstation I was using is wireless connected to my FIOS modem. Out of curiosity I used another workstation at home that is hardwired into the modem. Guess what? no errors at all. I'm using a USB Linksys N wireless on my workstation. I've not had any download issues from any other sites, just Dreamspark and Technet.
    Friday, October 25, 2013 6:06 PM
  • solution for unpacking error
    1.open .sdx file in notepad ...
    2.copy all and paste it in the address bar of your browser and open it.
    3.go to source of the file and locate http://software.dreamspark.com/dreamspark/ENGLISH/********************.01.sdc
    and 
    http://software.dreamspark.com/dreamspark/ENGLISH/************.02.sdc

4.download these 2 files using your downloader.
    5.open cmd and switch to the location where you downloaded the files  and type " copy /b *******.01.sdc+******.02.sdc 03.sdc ".
    6.open secure download manager start downloading your software when downloading starts go to the location where your software is downloading .... you will find the file ************.sdc now change the name of  the 03.sdc file with the name of the file in download folder now close secure download manager.
    7.Delete file which is in download folder and place file you renamed (****.03.sdc) in download folder.
    8.restart downloading your software with SDM it will work and it will not give unpacking error i tried it 100% successfull.
    • Proposed as answer by Fahad Mir Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:36 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:36 PM
  • i've done that already for visual studio pro 2014.it didn't work

i got that error

This file is not SDC file or this format is not supported.

any ideas? other than using microsoft SDM?

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 8:58 AM
  • Visual Studio Pro 2014? I don't think there is such version exist now on DreamSpark. There is no other ways other than using the Secure Download Manager.

Thanks

Thursday, November 07, 2013 1:03 AM
  • For softwares such as visual studio 2013 there is another: go to microsoft.cm/visualstudio and download the iso of desired version.
    Saturday, November 16, 2013 8:58 AM
  • i think you changed the extension of file too

for visual studio you may also download iso file rather using sdm to download and extract .sdc file.

• Edited by Fahad Mir Monday, November 18, 2013 7:47 PM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 7:45 PM
  • Secure Download Manager posts are off topic for the MSDN Subscriptions Feedback forum. Students having issues with the SDM should email dreamspark@kivuto.com and be sure to enter “SDM issue” on the subject line of their message.  SDM Issue emails must include:

• Order #
    • A detailed description of the problem, including steps taken and error message.  Screenshots are highly preferred.

DreamSpark Students having any other issue with the service need to get help from their Program Administrator.  Contact the Program Administrator by clicking the help link at the top of the student Webstore, and then scrolling down to the bottom of the page and clicking Contact Us.

If you have any questions about the above, please reply to this thread.

Thanks, Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support <br/> Read the Subscriptions <a href="http://blogs.msdn.com/msdnsubscriptions">Blog! </a>

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:01 AM
  • solution

1.close sdm manager

2.take backup of .sdc some where 

3.open sdm manager and click resume.

4.if give again error close it again and open it and click rsume it will unpack the sdc file if cople of time dont work with the file dlt the .sdc and copy bakup u take to same direcry and open sdm manger and click resume 

it work for me :) 

good luck guys

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:48 PM