none
Unable to browse/save to SharePoint libraries using Server 2012 as a client - webdav?

Question

• Hello,

When trying to save documents from Office 2010 applications directly to SharePoint 2010, the application returns an error:

"You can't open this location using this program"

which is what used to happen when the webclient service wasn't running on Windows Server 2008/R2 etc. However, I've installed the desktop experience feature and the webclient service is running - what am I missing?

IE enhanced security is off and SharePoint integration is fine with Windows 8 in the same environment.

Thanks

Andy

Friday, July 06, 2012 11:14 AM

Answers

• Hey Andy, I ran into the same problem on 2012 client.  I installed Desktop experience, started WebClient but I continued to get the "Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer" error when launching the windows explorer from library toolbar within the Browser while viewing the SharePoint Shared Documents folder. 

However I was able to directly access the SharePoint WebDAV file share using a file path in the format of \\ServerName\DavWWWRoot\Sites\SiteName\ShareName.  I could open the path directly in Windows Explorer as well as mapping a drive.   This technique still requires having the desktop experience installed with WebClient running.  You just have to manually browse to the SharePoint WebDAV folder.

Hope this helps, Brad.

Thursday, August 02, 2012 7:31 PM

All replies

• Is this SharePoint server running on Server 2012? You might try to post this over on the Office forums at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/sharepoint/.

Thomas Lee <DoctorDNS@Gmail.Com>

Friday, July 06, 2012 2:16 PM
  • No, SharePoint itself is running on a production 2008 R2 server and has no problems with other clients. The problem seems to be with running server 2012 as a client for SharePoint, which it could be in a remote desktop services scenario I suppose, but in this case is as a demo server.
    Friday, July 06, 2012 2:20 PM
  • Hi,

According to the problem description, this issue is related to SharePoint Server. For SharePoint Server issue, the best resource is SharePoint Server forum.

Based on the current situation, you’d better submit a new question to SharePoint Server forum for further assistance. In this way, your issue can be resolved effectively.

SharePoint Server

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/sharepoint

Thanks for your understanding!

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 09, 2012 9:26 AM
  • Arthur,

I'll try it, but I suspect they'll direct me back here - as I've said, SharePoint server is fine, problem seems to be with the way 2012 acts as a client.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 8:16 AM
  • Hey Andy, I ran into the same problem on 2012 client.  I installed Desktop experience, started WebClient but I continued to get the "Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer" error when launching the windows explorer from library toolbar within the Browser while viewing the SharePoint Shared Documents folder. 

However I was able to directly access the SharePoint WebDAV file share using a file path in the format of \\ServerName\DavWWWRoot\Sites\SiteName\ShareName.  I could open the path directly in Windows Explorer as well as mapping a drive.   This technique still requires having the desktop experience installed with WebClient running.  You just have to manually browse to the SharePoint WebDAV folder.

Hope this helps, Brad.

Thursday, August 02, 2012 7:31 PM