none
SQL browser

Question

• A question about SQL browser, we have a cluster with 2 nodes.
    On node1 it installed two instances, one production, one QA. The same as Node2.

The browser recently keeps stops, causing front end sharepoint not available.
    I have to restart the SQL browser service which will fix that.
    Not sure if this is also a problem of network because before it was running fine for a long time
    I have done a research that SP3 will fix that.

Now I am looking at the instances on Node1. Both instances - the TCP/IP port is leave blank, I guess they are both using default port.

Is that a correct configuration?
    Do we have to set one of the instance's TCP port to a different number, or we don't have to?

SQLFriend

Friday, June 21, 2013 4:17 PM

Answers

• Go to the ERROR.LOG  per instance and see what port it is listening to...

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Blog: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance

Sunday, June 23, 2013 6:52 AM
  • One of the neat tricks you can do with a cluster is to put each instance on the default port.  Since each instance has its own unique IP address, you can use the SQL Server Configuration Manager to set the port number to 1433.  This means you can safely ignore the instance name and connect directly to the IP address or network name.  In essence, the browser part of the name resolution gets taken out of the picture. 

Since it sounds like you already have SharePoint configured, you can use a SQL Alias to force resolution to a specific IP address and optional port number.  You would need to set the port number on the SQL Instance for any non-default instances since SQL can and often will select a new port on startup.

I would explore the Application log to figure out why the SQL Browser is stopping.  That is the real fix.

Geoff N. Hiten Principal Consultant Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:04 PM

All replies

• Go to the ERROR.LOG  per instance and see what port it is listening to...

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Blog: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance

Sunday, June 23, 2013 6:52 AM
  • One of the neat tricks you can do with a cluster is to put each instance on the default port.  Since each instance has its own unique IP address, you can use the SQL Server Configuration Manager to set the port number to 1433.  This means you can safely ignore the instance name and connect directly to the IP address or network name.  In essence, the browser part of the name resolution gets taken out of the picture. 

Since it sounds like you already have SharePoint configured, you can use a SQL Alias to force resolution to a specific IP address and optional port number.  You would need to set the port number on the SQL Instance for any non-default instances since SQL can and often will select a new port on startup.

I would explore the Application log to figure out why the SQL Browser is stopping.  That is the real fix.

Geoff N. Hiten Principal Consultant Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:04 PM