none
Foxpro hanging on Windows XP

Question

• Foxpro 2.6a has been running fine on my Windows XP machine, but suddenly just hangs at the first information screen when I click the icon to start.  When I try shutting it down with the Task Manager, it says the program is not responding then ultimately tell me that NTVDM.EXE is not responding.  Help!  How do I get Foxpro 2.6a to run again?

Friday, October 03, 2008 9:56 PM

Answers

• Well - the problem is now solved.  Turns out that it was the sprtcmd.exe task that was causing Foxpro to freeze.  When that was stopped, Foxpro opens and runs fine.  The only clue was that about the time that Foxpro started freezing, I'd get a message when shutting down the computer that the sprtcmd.exe was not responding and I would have to click End Now.

I Swim

Monday, October 06, 2008 2:36 PM

All replies

• Check to see if its a dual core machine or anything with 2 processors.
    The easy, temporary fix is to open up task manager while fox is running and then right click on the ntvdm task. If you have the option 'set afinity' then click on that and remove any processors except processor 0. If that fixes the problem, then you have to patch ntvdm so its permanently uses a single processor. To do that, lookup other similar posts in this group or use google.

Alen.
    Saturday, October 04, 2008 1:16 AM
  • Alen,

Thanks for responding.  I tried right clicking on the ntvdm task in the task manager and the only options that came up were End Process, End Process Tree and Set Priority.  The Set Priority was at Normal.  I didn't see anything about the 'set afinity'.  I don't know if I have a dual core machine.

When I tried to end the Foxpro task and it gave me the NTVDM.exe not responding, it then came up with a System Error that said "The request to end the selected 16 bit task has timed out.  The win 16 subsystem may be unstable."  Does that help?

I swim
    Saturday, October 04, 2008 1:49 AM
  • Well - the problem is now solved.  Turns out that it was the sprtcmd.exe task that was causing Foxpro to freeze.  When that was stopped, Foxpro opens and runs fine.  The only clue was that about the time that Foxpro started freezing, I'd get a message when shutting down the computer that the sprtcmd.exe was not responding and I would have to click End Now.

I Swim

Monday, October 06, 2008 2:36 PM
  • "shutting down the computer that the sprtcmd.exe was not responding and I would have to click End Now"

I get this error ANYTIME I shut down my PC. I don't know why all of the sudden in the last month this has been happening. If I log off a profile to log onto another or just shut down the PC all together I get the error message "sprtcmd.exe was not responding " and I have to wait for it to go thru a ending process and then I click end now. Any ideas why this is happening???

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 8:19 PM
  • cali angel, within the last 2 weeks my computer has decided to do the same thing.  I have a Dell so I don't know if it is the machine or something else.  Has the problem been resolved?

Friday, October 24, 2008 4:45 AM
  •  cali Angel wrote:

"shutting down the computer that the sprtcmd.exe was not responding and I would have to click End Now"

I get this error ANYTIME I shut down my PC. I don't know why all of the sudden in the last month this has been happening. If I log off a profile to log onto another or just shut down the PC all together I get the error message "sprtcmd.exe was not responding " and I have to wait for it to go thru a ending process and then I click end now. Any ideas why this is happening???

Saturday, November 01, 2008 6:47 AM
  •  For the THIRD time (Please do not post multiple times):

This file is installed by Dell, among other manufacturers, and is also often hacked by malicious software. YOu can remove it, and there is a full explanation here:

http://victorcab.blogspot.com/2008/10/sprtcmdexe.html

Saturday, November 01, 2008 10:16 AM
  • Mine is doing the same thing and is very irritating.  This has just started in the last few weeks.  I did download IE7 about the same time.  Wondering if that has anything to do with it??

Monday, November 03, 2008 6:13 PM
  • went into task master, processes and deleted sprtcmd.exe, it was Dell Suport program, so deleted it, control add and remove programs.

check to see what sprtcmd.exe attached too.  sprtcmd.exe in search, it will show what program it is in.

Monday, November 03, 2008 10:01 PM