none
Sql Server Memory Related Issue

Question

• Hi Friends,

we are Using 2 node Clustering in my environment when node 1 is down the 2nd Node is going to up But The 2nd Node consuming 32 GB RAM  After The 2nd is Down The First Node Doesnt Take Max Memory its Taking only 3GB RAM.

Can AnyBody Explain Why It Consuming More Space?

Regards

Anji

Friday, July 12, 2013 2:05 PM

Answers

• SQL Server memory consumption is very dynamic in nature. If on one node there is a lot of memory available, assuming its 64 bit SQL Server or 32 bit with AWE enabled it could go ahead and consume almost all the memory available on the server.

Provide the following details so we can assist you appropriately:-

1. SQL Server version, build and architechture
    2. OS version and architechture
    3. RAM on the nodes
    4. Max server memory setting
    5. AWE/Lock pages enabled or not.
    6. Where are you looking to find out the SQL Server memory consumption i.e Task Manager,Perfmon counter

Please note if its 64 bit and AWE is enabled Task manager i.e Working set does not indicate the correct memory consumption.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Friday, July 12, 2013 5:46 PM
  • Hi Friends,

we are Using 2 node Clustering in my environment when node 1 is down the 2nd Node is going to up But The 2nd Node consuming 32 GB RAM  After The 2nd is Down The First Node Doesnt Take Max Memory its Taking only 3GB RAM.

Regards

Anji

Hello, if your Nodes is active/active then on two nodes if you have that's own sql instances then obvously you can see more memory usuage as the memoy will allocate all those two sql instances based on the your Max mem set & exapndas buffer pool as it's required, if it's Active/Passive then it uses according to the what Max mem set (note here how much RAM you have) for the SQL or it may use more than that for Non buffer pool as well, then you have to check inside the sql what else is going on incase if your SQL using More Memory, hope you have same h/w & s/w configuration in place.

Thanks, Rama Udaya.K (http://rama38udaya.wordpress.com) ---------------------------------------- Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and UN-mark them if they provide no help,Vote if they gives you information.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 1:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is the machines 32 bit or 64 bit?

Thanks & Regards RAJUKIRAN L Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers.

Friday, July 12, 2013 2:22 PM
  • SQL Server memory consumption is very dynamic in nature. If on one node there is a lot of memory available, assuming its 64 bit SQL Server or 32 bit with AWE enabled it could go ahead and consume almost all the memory available on the server.

Provide the following details so we can assist you appropriately:-

1. SQL Server version, build and architechture
    2. OS version and architechture
    3. RAM on the nodes
    4. Max server memory setting
    5. AWE/Lock pages enabled or not.
    6. Where are you looking to find out the SQL Server memory consumption i.e Task Manager,Perfmon counter

Please note if its 64 bit and AWE is enabled Task manager i.e Working set does not indicate the correct memory consumption.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Friday, July 12, 2013 5:46 PM
  • Hi Friends,

Regards

Anji

Hello, if your Nodes is active/active then on two nodes if you have that's own sql instances then obvously you can see more memory usuage as the memoy will allocate all those two sql instances based on the your Max mem set & exapndas buffer pool as it's required, if it's Active/Passive then it uses according to the what Max mem set (note here how much RAM you have) for the SQL or it may use more than that for Non buffer pool as well, then you have to check inside the sql what else is going on incase if your SQL using More Memory, hope you have same h/w & s/w configuration in place.

Thanks, Rama Udaya.K (http://rama38udaya.wordpress.com) ---------------------------------------- Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and UN-mark them if they provide no help,Vote if they gives you information.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 1:22 PM
  • 64 bit

Monday, August 19, 2013 9:10 AM