storing control/object information

Question

• Hi,

I am hand coding a test framework based on VSTS.  I come from the QTP world.  In QTP we have the object repository which holds object identification information in an object repository.  When using CUIT it stores all of the control search criteria in classes wiith one class for each control.  I have seen reference in the forum to people storing the control/object information in an XML file.

I am looking for examples of the different ways that people have stored the object/control identification information including samples if possible of the flat file, XML file, DB table and columns etc. as well as an example of the code that you are using retrieve the to data and use it operate on an object in a UI.

I've been looking for some examples but so far I haven't really found anything other than references to what people are using or planning on using.

Thanks

Jeff

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:03 PM

All replies

• The UI Test file is the equivalent of the Object repository. We recommend that you store objects in the UI Test file format. With Visual Studio 2010 Feature Pack 2, we have enable graphical editing of the UI test file also.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg269469.aspx

Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:48 AM
  • OK - So I found a good tutorial about how to use the UIMap files and create a hand written test that doesn't dump all of the code into the Design.cs file:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/anutthara/archive/2010/02/10/walkthrough-using-multiple-coded-ui-maps-in-test-automation.aspx

I started to use the Coded UI Test Builder to create my UIMap files however I hit a problem.  I was trying to get to a drop down menu.  I selected the top menu with the tool and then used the "compass icon" in the tool to select the children of the drop down menu.  After selecting a couple sub menus to add to the mapping the compass tool became disabled even though there were more children menus.  As I clicked in and out of the application the icon at some point would become enabled again and let me select more children items.  

Have you seen this before?  Any idea on how to fix it? 

Thanks for the response.

Jeff

Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:48 PM