none
SSRS XML DataSource in SSRS Web Edition

Question

• Hi All,

I have a little (stupid) question : is it possible to have  XML as a data source on a SSRS Web Edition ? 

I can't seem to find any detailed information about this on the documentation...

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Nicky

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Nicky,

The built-in Reporting Services data processing extensions are included with any installation of Reporting Services. And XML data source is use built-in Reporting Services data processing extension. So XML data source is supported by SSRS Web Edition. To include data from an XML data source in the report, we must have a dataset that is based on a report data source of type XML. This built-in data source type is based on the XML data extension. We can select XML type in the drop-down list when we define a data source in Reporting Services. Then use this data source type to connect to and retrieve data from XML documents, Web services, or XML that is embedded in the query. Note that Web edition only support web edition data source.

For more information about XML data source in Reporting Services, please refer to the following links:
    Data Sources Supported by Reporting Services (SSRS)
    Features Supported by the Editions of SQL Server 2012
    XML Connection Type (SSRS)

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 2:28 AM
  • Hi Katherine,

Thanks for the quick reply! But ... then I still have a problem. I created my report in Visual Studio ( bids) and used the XML data source to query a web - service. While developing .... everything went fine. The report rendered and I received all the data i expected. 

When I deply the report to the report server, and I go to the data sources, I get the following error : 

"

The data processing extension used for this report is not available. It has either been uninstalled, or it is not configured correctly"

And I have no clue where to find them. Do you have any idea where to start ? Should I reinstall SSRS ? Or ?

Oh and fyi : I already used the XML - WebService technique on Sql Server Standard editions, so ... that's why I asked myself if the XML data source was supported or not ... and I already saw the links (you provided) to the sites in my searches ... 

So ... if you have any idea's ? 

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:17 AM
  • Hi Nicky,

Could you please find out the file rsreportserver.config located C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS11.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer to see whether it contain below code at <Data> section. If not, add it to the <Data> section.

<Extension Name="XML" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.XmlDPConnection,Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions"/>

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:52 AM
  • Hi Katherine,

I have the following in the config file :

<Data>
    <Extension Name="SQL" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.SqlConnectionWrapper,Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions"/>
    <Extension Name="SQLAZURE" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.SqlAzureConnectionWrapper,Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions"/>
    <Extension Name="SQLPDW" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.SqlDwConnectionWrapper,Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions"/>
    <Extension Name="OLEDB" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.OleDbConnectionWrapper,Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions"/>
    <Extension Name="OLEDB-MD" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.AdoMdConnection,Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions"/>
    <Extension Name="ORACLE" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.OracleClientConnectionWrapper,Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions"/>
    <Extension Name="ODBC" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.OdbcConnectionWrapper,Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions"/>
    <Extension Name="XML" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.XmlDPConnection,Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions"/>
    <Extension Name="SHAREPOINTLIST" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.SharePointList.SPListConnection,Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions"/>
    <Extension Name="SAPBW" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.SapBw.SapBwConnection,Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.SapBw"/>
    <Extension Name="ESSBASE" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.Essbase.EssbaseConnection,Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.Essbase"/>
    <Extension Name="TERADATA" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.TeradataConnectionWrapper,Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions"/>
    </Data>

So it was in the config file ... 

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 6:01 AM