none
Kinect SDK for Mac

Question

• Hello,

Do you intend to provide Kinect SDK for MacOS anytime soon? At the moment, apart of some old OpenNI/NITE-support, a useful device as Kinect is almost excluded from the Mac-market.

Thanks and kind regards!

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can use a vitual machine to run the kinect on MacOS

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj663795.aspx

You should see the hardware requirements  for Kinect Fusion, everything else should work.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 4:46 PM
  • Sure, a virtual machine is a good possibility for development projects, but it's not quite user friendly. Just imagine a gamer or game developer, wanting to run his Kinect-aware Unity game on Mac. Impossible, eh?
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:58 PM
  • with VMware  Fusion should be posible
    Friday, May 24, 2013 5:03 AM
  • I don't think VM is a valid solution.   You're talking about something undeployable on the mac platform.  Clearly not a viable option for a software developer wanting do to something with Kinect on a mac.
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:13 AM
  • Well, do you think it, or do you have already try it ...

http://jcraane.blogspot.de/2012/10/kinect-within-vmware.html

arctorx

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:09 PM
  • So I have to get a license for the instance of Win 7, and I have an entire bloody operating system consuming gigs of ram and incurring a sever boot-up penalty before being operational?

No, this is not a viable option.   OpenKinect or OpenNI are alternatives but suffer from complexity getting set up.   It would be very nice if the Kinect SDK would be a directly linkable library on Mac OS X projects.  There are some good examples of directly linking to hardware, such as the Razor Hydra library by Sixense.  It enables direct utilization of their magnetic motion tracking system without installing anything.  This is directly deployable and a good way to create demand for their device.

Kinect is better for many industrial applications. Making it simple for Mac app store deployment would nicely increase demand for the hardware.

Also driving Kinect innovation on Mac provides some compelling cross-over for all those iOS developers such as myself. Microsoft is in the midst of working to attract back developer talent to the Win8RT/Xbox platforms from iOS, and Kinect on XboxOne is a compelling hardware installation scenario.  So a bit of success utilizing Kinect on Mac could compel an iOS developer such as myself to step up development with the professional tools of Visual Studio and full Xbox app development.  Mac & iOS dev is synonymous with Win8 & Xbox in many ways.  Bridging the developer gap with exciting hardware is a nice way to do it.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:44 AM
  • So I have to get a license for the instance of Win 7, and I have an entire bloody operating system consuming gigs of ram and incurring a sever boot-up penalty before being operational?

No, this is not a viable option.   OpenKinect or OpenNI are alternatives but suffer from complexity getting set up.   It would be very nice if the Kinect SDK would be a directly linkable library on Mac OS X projects.  There are some good examples of directly linking to hardware, such as the Razor Hydra library by Sixense.  It enables direct utilization of their magnetic motion tracking system without installing anything.  This is directly deployable and a good way to create demand for their device.

Kinect is better for many industrial applications. Making it simple for Mac app store deployment would nicely increase demand for the hardware.

Also driving Kinect innovation on Mac provides some compelling cross-over for all those iOS developers such as myself. Microsoft is in the midst of working to attract back developer talent to the Win8RT/Xbox platforms from iOS, and Kinect on XboxOne is a compelling hardware installation scenario.  So a bit of success utilizing Kinect on Mac could compel an iOS developer such as myself to step up development with the professional tools of Visual Studio and full Xbox app development.  Mac & iOS dev is synonymous with Win8 & Xbox in many ways.  Bridging the developer gap with exciting hardware is a nice way to do it.

Iam not for sure if they have plans for it on mac os x but someone can bug the Microsoft team really bad.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:45 PM