Publishing with Pre-Requisites Issues

Question

• I was using Visual Studio 2005 professional for my vb applications and I could go into the publish tab and under pre-requisites choose to have them to download to the same location as my application.  I have now downloaded express 2008 and the option is there but when I try to publish with that option recieve several errors.  All of them being about the same as the one below.

"Error 2 The install location for prerequisites has not been set to 'component vendor's web site' and the file 'WindowsInstaller3_1\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe' in item 'Windows Installer 3.1' can not be located on disk. See Help for more information. Verizon"

I have used the option to download from vendors site but when the user tries to install it states to contact the administrator.  I would prefer to use the first method instead of downloading from the vendors site anyway.

Thank You

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hopefully you have figured out a way around this already, but if not, here is a work around. The reason it is telling to contact the adminstrator is the standard user doesn't have the access to install that component. You can work around this by logging on to the machine as an administrator first, then installing it. It is my guess, but even if it is installing from the same location as your application, if they don't have administrator priviledges, it still won't install. I am guessing these are office network computers.

• Proposed as answer by gspeed316 Thursday, March 25, 2010 6:09 PM
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:55 PM