none
How to create ADO.NET Data Model from SQL Server Compact database in VS 2013 Express?

Question

• Hello. I'm writing an app using SQL Server Compact, Visual Studio 2013 Express and Entity Framework. I've installed SQL Server Compact for Entity Framework via NuGet.

https://www.nuget.org/packages/EntityFramework.SqlServerCompact/6.0.1

Now I am able to to create and edit my database. But I can't create ADO.NET Entity Data Model from my database because I can't see SQL Server Compact in Data Source. How can I fix this? 

Maybe, I should use another database system? I've tried to use sql express, but the programm doesn't work on user's computer and I don't know, what does user need to install to run my programm. All I need is:

1. Deploy my app on user's machine without installing huge packages.

2. Create Data Model in Visual Studio 2013 Express from my database.

If there is any solution without using SQL Server Compact, it would be nice to see it.

Sunday, November 03, 2013 6:20 PM

Answers

• Sql Server Compact is not supported by the VS 2013 tooling, options include using VS 2012 Express or install VS 2013 Pro and my Sql Server Compact Toolbox addin, or using Code First.

Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog http://erikej.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by Just Vlad Monday, November 04, 2013 9:11 PM
    Sunday, November 03, 2013 8:56 PM

All replies

• Sql Server Compact is not supported by the VS 2013 tooling, options include using VS 2012 Express or install VS 2013 Pro and my Sql Server Compact Toolbox addin, or using Code First.

Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog http://erikej.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by Just Vlad Monday, November 04, 2013 9:11 PM
    Sunday, November 03, 2013 8:56 PM
  • Hello,

As ErikEj post above, you can try to install the SQL Server Compact 3.5 and 4.0 Toolbox add-in for Visual Studio to connect to SQL Server Compact 3.5 and 4.0 database files in Visual Studio 2013.
    Reference:SQL Server Compact Toolbox

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, November 04, 2013 6:53 AM
  • Sadly, I really need to be able to see model so I'll try to work with another database system, not SQL Compact. I've been thinking about creating two projects - one for model and one for code, but it's very very dumb. Anyway, thanks for answer. 

--

Compact Toolbox doesn't install because "This extension is not installable on any currently installed products.". Well, looks like Compact doesn't want to be my friend. 

• Edited by Just Vlad Monday, November 04, 2013 9:14 PM
    Monday, November 04, 2013 9:10 PM
  • Hi Erik,

I was developing my appcliation with VS2012 express and sql server compact.
    Now I switched to the new VS2013 express and I read in your post, that sql server compact is not supported???

Do you know the reason, or do they implement sql server compact support in a later version of VS2013 express?

Thanks for the answer,

Oliver, Zürich

• Edited by Catweazle75 Friday, November 15, 2013 5:51 PM
    Friday, November 15, 2013 5:51 PM
  • No, I do not know the exact reason...sorry

Friday, November 15, 2013 8:22 PM
  • We had a project with Sql Server Compact and later we shifted to Xml

1.It is easier to manipulate now

2.There is no separate installation for any other Database

3.The important part is (as I think) it is much faster than sql server compact

4.You could use linq to xml and build your application based on xml database

5.I think there is bunch of methods which provides security for your xml database (if security matters)

Saturday, January 04, 2014 11:45 AM