none
Can't find SQL Server Express application after install

Question

• I have downloaded and install SQL Server Express on my new Win 8.1 laptop.  Installtion runs without any issues (no error messages displayed) and shows a successfull completion.  However, I can't seem to make any connections to the server.  There are not applicaitons available and I don't get any response trying to make a connection.  How do I make connection?
    Friday, December 27, 2013 9:43 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Do you search your computer already for the SQL Server programs installed by SQL Server setup? On the Start Screen, could you write the word SQL and see what the search can find on your computer?

What version of SQL Server you installed? Depending of the version installed, could you share with us the Summary.txt log file? The following article may help you locate the Summary.txt log file:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702(v=sql.110).aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Saturday, December 28, 2013 3:23 AM
  • Can you check whether your sql server service is running?

1.) GoTo desktop mode. Press window + R key to run the Run command window. Type Services.msc

2.) In service window check for service name "Sql Server" and check it is in running mode.

OR 

1.) Press Windows + F key and find for Sql Server Surface Configuration manage. 

2.) Check there your sql server instance is running.

Also can you post the error message when you try to connect to the sql express instance.

Regards Harsh

Saturday, December 28, 2013 4:09 AM
  • Hi
    1. Find SQL Server Management Studio in All Programs.
    2. Use Data Source : (local)

If ypu have visual studio installed on your machine then you can use the visual studio's Server Explorer and connect with Data Source as (local) with opening and closing brackets.

Thanks.

Owner | Software Developer at NULLPLEX SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS http://nullplex.com

Saturday, December 28, 2013 7:33 AM