none
Anyone has an experience to migrate Oracle DB to SQL Server ?

Question

• G'day All,

As stated on my Title. I would like to seek an advise from forum for:

1. any pitfall to aware of ?

2. any lesson learnt from your experience ?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Robert

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 1:22 PM

Answers

• Please see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh313159.aspx

There are many, many differences in SELECT syntax between TSQL and PLSQL.  You will need to rewrite 98% of all Oracle queries.

• Marked as answer by treb94 Friday, July 05, 2013 3:12 AM
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Method is told to you by Tom And perhaps it is the best way..

1. You can also use SSIS but first you need to create table manually in SQL server taking Table structure from Oracle and then transfer data using SSIS(this shud be ur appraoch if u face prob using SSMA).Some data types are not supported in sql server so you have to google for quivalent data type in SQL like CLOB,Varchar2 many more

2. Not all the queries which are in oracle will be converted by SSMA some might fail that you have to do manually thi will come when u run SSMA report. I mean then you have to write query manually for sql server

3. If you are using SQL server with collation corresponding to CASE SENSTIVE , SSMA will not work for it.

4.Run SSMA setup as admin else you might get error.

If u face any error raise fresh thread for that we will surely assist u

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Edited by Shanky_621 Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:14 PM added line
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:13 PM

All replies

• Please see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh313159.aspx

There are many, many differences in SELECT syntax between TSQL and PLSQL.  You will need to rewrite 98% of all Oracle queries.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Method is told to you by Tom And perhaps it is the best way..

1. You can also use SSIS but first you need to create table manually in SQL server taking Table structure from Oracle and then transfer data using SSIS(this shud be ur appraoch if u face prob using SSMA).Some data types are not supported in sql server so you have to google for quivalent data type in SQL like CLOB,Varchar2 many more

2. Not all the queries which are in oracle will be converted by SSMA some might fail that you have to do manually thi will come when u run SSMA report. I mean then you have to write query manually for sql server

3. If you are using SQL server with collation corresponding to CASE SENSTIVE , SSMA will not work for it.

4.Run SSMA setup as admin else you might get error.

If u face any error raise fresh thread for that we will surely assist u

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Edited by Shanky_621 Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:14 PM added line
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:13 PM
  • G'day Tom / Shanky,

Thank you for your advise. I will explore on all the possibilities. 

Best Regards,

Robert

Friday, July 05, 2013 3:14 AM