windows 8 tiles

Question

• i just did a dual boot between windiws 8 and 7. when i login to windows 8, the tyles does not respond. only the desktop tile works and control pannel tile works. rest does not respond, especially the app store. how can enable other tiles.
    Regards Praveen
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:38 AM

Answers

• Praveen,

It is hard to tell what is the reason when error message doesn't give a specific message.  Remember, this is just preview software.  Next step is to do Reset your PC. Save all your data off your computer first because it will ease them. 

It is the same steps for Refresh your PC but click on Get Started below Reset your PC and start over instead of Refresh your PC withour affecting your files.

Friday, September 23, 2011 1:47 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Do you have a netbook with a 1024x600 screen? If you do the Metro apps won't run. You need 1024x768 minimum.

The Windows app store is not included in the WDP. Not all the features are included in the Developer Preview.

From the Building Windows 8 blog:

NOTE: The preview build does not include every feature shown this morning.  Shown but not in the Developer Preview release include the Windows Store, Windows Live Metro style apps, and some of the user interface features.  The focus of the preview is the API and development tools for building Metro style apps.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/13/welcome-to-windows-8-the-developer-preview.aspx

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:47 AM
  • my pc is at 1920x1080 and it still doesnt work and my pc does meet the req
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:13 AM
  • Praveen,

Is your account is local account or Live ID account?

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:48 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Eric,

Yes i am using Live ID to login. Is that the issue?

Regards Praveen
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:29 PM
  • Praveen,

Live ID account shouldn't affect the metro apps.  I would like you to create a new local account and see if problem still exists.  

1. click on Control Panel
    2. click on Users
    3. click on Plus sing next to Add a user under Other users
    4. click on More about Logon options
    5. click on Local account button
    6. create user name and password for this account.

If this problem still exists on new local account, next step is to use "Refresh your PC" option in the Control Panel.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:10 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Eric, I did that but same story. Strangly only the desktop and control panel tiles respond. no other tile responds.
    Regards Praveen
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:41 AM
  • Praveen,

Do you mean that you already tried Refresh your PC option but you still having same issue?

Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:49 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Eric, i created a local account and still same issue. i did not understand what refresh PC means?
    Regards Praveen
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:08 PM
  • Praveen,

Refresh your PC will reinstall Windows but keep your personal data. Any 3rd party software will need to be reinstalled.

1. In Metro screen, click on Control Panel.
    2. Click on General.
    3. Scroll down and click on Get Started below Refresh your PC without affecting your files.
    4. Follow on screen guide.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:46 PM
    Answerer
  • i did the above steps but still it does not work. in fact i got a message saying refresh failed.

any idea what could be the reason? i use acer d250 netbook.

Regards Praveen
    Friday, September 23, 2011 4:20 AM
  • Praveen,

It is hard to tell what is the reason when error message doesn't give a specific message.  Remember, this is just preview software.  Next step is to do Reset your PC. Save all your data off your computer first because it will ease them. 

It is the same steps for Refresh your PC but click on Get Started below Reset your PC and start over instead of Refresh your PC withour affecting your files.

Friday, September 23, 2011 1:47 PM
    Answerer