TFS2010 Trail version Configuration Issues in Win7,x64

Question

• Hi Folks,

Recently I downloaded TFS 2010 trial version and installed into my machine. And my machine is having SQL Server 2008 developer edition. While I was trying to configure TFS 2010, I'm getting some errors. I configured Application tier in Advanced mode. And I gave my SQL Server instance, service account as "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" and gave my collection name. And it is successfully passed the readiness checks. And I clicked "Configure" Button. During the configuration process, Server database was configured completely, website configured with a warning message and the configuration service returned with error as stated "Configuration completed, but there were errors. Click next to review errors.' In the next page I got this mesage. TF255115: The following service did not start: TfsJobAgent.Details: Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed.

And I checked the Event Logs folder. In that I can found that "Config\machine.config" ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path. I gave the read and execute and list folders rights."

And I am trying it in my remote machine. But I installed and it's working fine in my local desktop. So I hope it might be access right issues. So I modified the security setting for the particular folder like Read,Execute and List all files rights to "EVERYONE". Still unable to solve this issue.

So please help me to configure TFS 2010 properly in my machine.

Friday, February 10, 2012 3:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Sivakumar,

Based on the error message you provided above, it seems that you actually get the TF255115: The following service did not start: TfsJobAgent.Details: Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed error message. And as we know that The TFSJobAgent is called Visual Studio Team Foundation Background Job Agent in Services. So I think that the root cause of your issue is that you do not have the permission to start the TfsJobAgent service.

To deal with your issue please follow the approach below:

Open the Services on your local machine, and find the Visual Studio Team Foundation Background Job Agent service. Right-click it and select Properties. On the Log On tab, select This account option, please type the appropriate username and password and click OK button. Please make sure you can have that service started.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, February 13, 2012 12:22 PM
  • Finally I found the answer and configured successfully on my machine.

"While Configuring I configured as the TFS service needs to be run under "User Account" instead  of "System Account". Then I provided my User account name and password. Finally everything went fine. I am done with my configuration"

Please find the screen shot of the Configuration of "Build Service" Same thing I have done for the TFS Configuration Wizard.

• Marked as answer by Sivakumar Shan Friday, February 24, 2012 1:36 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 1:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Sivakumar,

Based on the error message you provided above, it seems that you actually get the TF255115: The following service did not start: TfsJobAgent.Details: Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed error message. And as we know that The TFSJobAgent is called Visual Studio Team Foundation Background Job Agent in Services. So I think that the root cause of your issue is that you do not have the permission to start the TfsJobAgent service.

To deal with your issue please follow the approach below:

Open the Services on your local machine, and find the Visual Studio Team Foundation Background Job Agent service. Right-click it and select Properties. On the Log On tab, select This account option, please type the appropriate username and password and click OK button. Please make sure you can have that service started.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Monday, February 13, 2012 12:22 PM
  • Hi Vicky,

Sorry for the late reply. But I couldn't able to identify the Visual Studio Team Foundation Background Job Agent in the services. I can see only Visual Studio remote Debugger service

Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:06 AM
  • Hello Sivakumar,

Does the machine you are looking into have TFS2010 installed on it. The approach I mentioned above should be done on the TFS App-Tier.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Friday, February 17, 2012 1:49 AM
  • Hi Vicky,

Yeah the machine is installed with TFS2010 Trail Version. And I am trying ti configure via Team Foundation Server Administration Console. But still getting the same error. 

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:13 AM
  • Hi Vicky, Here I have attached some screen shots for better reference.

WarningSetup Errors

Please give me better solution.

Thanks,

Siva

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:41 AM
  • Hi Please find the below Error logs which I found in Event Viewer

Service cannot be started. System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: An error occurred loading a configuration file: Access to the path 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Config\machine.config' is denied. (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Config\machine.config) ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Config\machine.config' is denied.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath)
       at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy).

Please help me to configure.

Friday, February 24, 2012 12:52 PM
  • Finally I found the answer and configured successfully on my machine.

"While Configuring I configured as the TFS service needs to be run under "User Account" instead  of "System Account". Then I provided my User account name and password. Finally everything went fine. I am done with my configuration"

Please find the screen shot of the Configuration of "Build Service" Same thing I have done for the TFS Configuration Wizard.

• Marked as answer by Sivakumar Shan Friday, February 24, 2012 1:36 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 1:36 PM
  • This is a tricky one! You have to open (refresh) the services window during the installation not after it fails. You must do it before the TFS installation throws an error because the install gets rolled back (the service is removed) hence, you won't find it.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 9:20 PM