Visual Studio 2010 - very slow

Question

• Hy,

we installed both, the Express and the ultimate version and noticed the same performance problems. On multiple machines (WinXP, Win7, Win Vista -> all dual-core with a least 2,4GHz and 2GB Ram).

On the same machines there is VS2005 installed which we have no issues with. Especially things like open the corresponding header file oder search for the declaration of any function, class member or variable takes several dozens of seconds (in worst case even minutes). VS2005 does the same in less than a second.

Our (C++) solution has about 25 subprojects with up to 30 source files each. For the XP machines we already installed the Windows Automation API 3.0 patch. We have no add-ins (or for the ultimate version plugins) installed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Sam.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:32 AM

All replies

• v2010 is a bit slower than 2008 and even slower than 2005.  It shouldn't be phenomenally slower though.  You may benefit by adding more memory as well.  The new editor in VS2010 is WPF based and you may seem some slowdown because of that, but it is made up for by the increased functionality.

Tom

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:59 PM
  • Hy Tom,

well, it is phenomenally slower. The increased functionality is the reason why I'd like to use it.

However, switching source files (via tab entry) takes several seconds, going to a function declaration (via context menu) takes even more than several seconds. This makes it almost impossible to use the new UI (and its features). Even during coding ("writing") it happens that the UI hangs for 10 seconds and more.

And honestly, a C++ IDE should not need more than 2GB Ram (In fact, tha task manager tells me, it doesn't. It uses about 200MB).

So. As long there is no patch in sight I'll switch back to 2005.

Greetings,
    Sam

Monday, September 27, 2010 7:33 AM
  •  

Hi,

First, you should uninstall some third-party add-in in Visual Studio.

Second, the way to speed up change, is optimize the code of design, for some common controls like button you can write design code by yourself  replace with generate by Visual Studio. 

I hope these information can help you!

Regards!

Jesse

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:40 AM
  • Hi Jesse,

thanks for your reply. As I said in my first post we have no third-party (or any party) add-ins installed. We don't use any GUI designing tools provided by VS itself. We use the Qt framework for that.

Greetings,
    Sam.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 4:31 PM
  • Not to sound rude, because I don't mean to be.  I'll state the obvious though.

XP/Vista/Windows 7 - Development Environment - 2GB's of RAM <--- this is your problem.

While 200mb might not be much by itself, with only having 2GB...running development programs on these OS isn't very sufficient, especially when dealing with larger projects.

You have to take into account the debugger/compiler process, these take an extensive amount of resources when they're active.  Pull up your task manager next time you go to compile and see how much the resources jump up.

2GB of RAM is just not an acceptable amount of RAM in a developer's environment these days, ESPECIALLY if you're running Windows 7.  RAM is relatively inexpensive these days, even if the RAM isn't the problem...it'd probably save you valuable time in the future of your development process by upgrading it atleast to 4gb.

Project Manager Intern - Technology Department Corrections Corporation of America
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:15 PM
  • Well, we have a fairly large native C++ solution and we see the same thing -- VS 2010 is MUCH slower than 2008.  I have Windows Vista Pro 64-bit machine with 8 cores and 32 GB or RAM and VS 2010 Premium.  The speed of "Go To Declaration" and "Go To Definition" went from about 1-3 seconds in VS 2008 to anywhere from 15 seconds to several minutes in VS 2010.  I cannot wait more than several seconds to lookup a declaration of something!  Meanwhile the "code preview" window shows that declaration almost instantly, when the "Go To Declaration" keeps on searching.  All my coworkers working see exact same problem on a variety of different machines.

Friday, October 01, 2010 4:35 PM
  • As I have reported in other messages re the appaling speed of VS2010, it is MUCH slower than 2008, to the point it is unusable.

I have 6 i7 8core 8GB machines running the same project as my Waaaay inferior 2008 machines with 2GB,  the 2008 machines are way faster, who wants to wait 30 seconds to be taken to a declaration ?

BTW Jesse, are you seriously suggesting we re-code our projects to speed up a multi thousand dollar IDE !!!

D

Friday, October 01, 2010 9:48 PM
  • Well, Christopher. I would probably agree if there weren't VS2005 and VS2008 on the same machines (which I both have NO issues with at all).

Besides, RAM upgrading to 3,5GB++ on a 32bit (both WinXP and Windows 7) machine is kind of a waste of money.

I'm not talking about compiling. I'm talking about coding. And while I'm waiting for a "Go to declaration" the maximum cpu load is about 15% and the available (i.e. free) RAM size is about 900MB. So, there is no way this is a resource shortage.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:59 AM
  • I too having same issue and sometimes taking more than 10 seconds to "write" code in the editor. I am having 4GB Ram, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU and Windows 7 environment. My VS2010 is Professional version and working on WPF projects

Dreaming a world without any war in anywhere
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:51 PM
  • I have the same problem on my work PC (also Windows 7 with only 2Gb RAM).  It's unbelievably slow.  2008 and 2005 were fine.  Any kind of intellisense (one of the reasons for buying it was the slight improvement in productivity that would give) is impossible.  Right click "find", "go to declaration", etc. is so ridiculously slow I don't even bother (one collegue has switched off intellisense altogether).  Have ordered 2Gb more RAM so I will have maxed out this 32 bit 7 machine then.  If it works, I'll post a note.  Otherwise, this dog is probably going to be taken out and shot.

Note that my home PC, which has a better CPU (Core2, over an Athlon X64) and 4Gb, runs very well indeed.   Collegues who use .NET don't have a problem; it's only the C++ variation.  It probably is a problem with RAM, but we will see.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:57 PM
  • I have 3GB of memory in my computer and I seldom find VS 2010 Intellisense to be slow.  I think they have improved it a lot so perhaps an upgrade to 2010 would help.

Tom

Friday, October 29, 2010 6:42 AM
  • To conclude, I added 2GB (now I've got 4GB) to my system and the performance improved 500%.  It's still not what I would describe as "nippy", but then my system overall isn't state of the art.  
    Friday, December 03, 2010 3:51 PM
  • Hallo Samuel,

Have u speed   up ur VS2005 IDE? I'm having enter any text in Editor take more than 30 Seconds in now a days...

Have u any idea related with this Issueeeeeeee?

Thanks in Advance...

Thanks and Regards,

Thilahar.

CRThilahar(Want to become a GreatLeader to ALL).
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 10:46 AM
  • Hi every one...

Very simple soln for speed up the IDE by Delete all ur Break points., in my case a lot of break points so the Editor was very slow. after removing all it get back original speed...

Thanks to Sune in CodeGuru.

See "Edit---> Breakpoints..." dialog!

remove all Break points. Work now.

Thanks to all.

CRThilahar(Want to become a GreatLeader to ALL).
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 10:56 AM
  • Hi,

I have Visual Studio 2010 on Win 64 bit Platform, 12gig ram, 2 Xeon 2 dual core processors and this thing is extremely.  Not only that, everytime you use the database connector wizard it resets itself.

I spent $6000 on this machine and I cannpot even get work done without work arounds. Sometimes I have to go back and use my VS 2008. Why do we need workarounds to begin with?? I could have used teh free versiona dngot teh same performance.

This is absolutly terrible. If I wrote software thsi bad I would be out of a job. Refunds to all of us are in order.

Jack Phillips

CIO

PowerRail Distibution

ASP DEveloper
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 1:35 PM
  • RAM only determines how much space (bits of data) your computer can handle before loading onto the HDD-Fake-RAM.

Seems like everyone is asking the wrong question when it comes to RAM...

What ddr is, and what is the clock speed OP?

I'm pushing 1GB DDR on a 3.0(single Core) Dell (work PC). And only experience slowness when I'm using my Event-Log.

I'm certain that people with rave on about amount of RAM being the issue... But I've less RAM, and I'm doing great. So, Again more detail about the RAM would be nice. Also, is the VS loading slowly, or running slowly (not just at start up of program, but the whole time)?

And to everyone else, think of RAM and a work bench. The bigger amount of RAM (work bench) the more things you can work on at one time, before getting into virtual-RAM (Think of it as the floor, just a less convenient backup space).

OP either way when buying or building a PC ALWAYS   get the highest RAM-Mhz speed your CPU and cope with.

Anyway i'll leave everyone else to argue the issue about RAM size being the issue, but again, if this computer (7years old now + running XP with half the RAM, and only 70% of your CPU) is doing okay, your RAM is NOT the issue. ;)

Friday, January 28, 2011 11:09 PM
  • Point is though... more RAM makes VS 2010 much happier.  I have to believe that has a lot to do with VS 2010 using more managed code, but don't know for sure.

Tom

Saturday, January 29, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Not sure how a program is "happier", but last I checked windows didn't include a .dll that says "If (1GB+) run better" like BETA said,  the ammount of RAM doesn't mean anything... unless there is not enough . I too only have 1GB, and I push VS-2010 just fine. and my CPU 1.6ghz single core.

BTW when you use #includes in VS-2010 it loads a lot. My suggestion is to defrag. But without actually looking at the PC... I can't really say I know the answer.

Either way, I have less RAM, and a CPU weak as they come (some netbooks have me beat) and this program works just fine. There is obviously an issue, but RAM isn't the problem.

Sunday, January 30, 2011 9:42 PM
  • Well, I upgraded to 4Gb and it does generally run better, but things like "Go to definition..." and "Go to declaration..." can take anything from seconds to minutes, during which time the program is essentially "hung".  This is native C++, by the way.  I'm sure it's much better with .NET.  

I really don't understand how you can code a feature like that to be so damned slow to be honest.

Friday, February 04, 2011 1:23 PM
  • Hi,

Any one have  problems with the Data Connector Configuration?

It is unusable. Restarts VS 2010 all teh time.

VS 2010 is a dog! I had VS 2008 on Vista Ultimate 32 bit 4 gb ram and run better than this.

Now 64 bit 12 gig ram 2 quad core processors @ over 3 ghz and it runs a lot slower.

Machine is one month old.

Terrible product! Microsoft should be ashamed!

Jack Phillips

CIO

PowerRail Distribution

ASP DEveloper
    Friday, February 04, 2011 7:23 PM
  • One major reason why I did not switch to linux was the VS IDE, which I loved. I developed huge amount of code and used it for big projects for scientific research. I am very disappointed about the very slow user interface of VS 2010. I think this will be the time I will finally say goodbye to the windows world, as I guess there is more WPF to come (Office...). I was developing cross platform anyways so it does not make a big difference to me anymore. With such a slow user interface I first thought my computer does not work properly anymore so I switched to a 12 GB Intel i7 950 system running at 3GHz. I could not believe that the responsiveness was still much slower than on my 2 GHz Core duo Laptop with 4GB. This will be the last text I wrote with a windows os...

Goodbye

Johnathan

Thursday, February 17, 2011 10:26 PM
  • I have both version running right now VS2008 and VS2010 with the same project, the 2010 verson takes 180Mb of my RAM while 2008 takes only 44Mb. I have unchecked the Enable rich experience in Tool->Options->Enviroment->General and it seems that it runs a little better.

But what really drops me out is the VS2010 theme colors . They are UGLY!  :(

Sunday, February 20, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Wow Johnathan! You have read my mind. I am in the same situation. I develop scientific appications, some of them for GPUs using CUDA and I am using Visual Studio 2008 for cross compiling. But it seems that Microsoft has decided to downgrade Visual Studio, ... again!

I do not see a clear advantage for moving to VS2010 except for some C++0x extensions, that I would hardly need, although GCC has already implemented most of them.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 4:06 PM
  • Hi Samuel T. Haven

I generally don't know what you are asking for, but i had the same problem. While installing the setup loader was very very slow. I had once installed visual studio 2010 and it worked perfectly, but next I removed it. When I tried to install it again I got this problem too, so I formated my pc and now i have it installed on my pc, works fine.

I suggest you to format your pc, and during the formating I'd suggest to delete completely you partition where your windows is. And then try it installing, for me it worked. Hope it will work for you too.

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:10 PM
  • Hi Christopher.Loyd

I don't think this is about how much RAM the pc has. (I think it's enough 1GB). For example, I'm running now on win 7, Core 2 duo, on 1GB RAM  and i had the same problem, but now i have it installed on my pc. Works perfectlly

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:19 PM
  • The bottom line is the amount of managed code that was used in the latest iteration of Visual Studio. While the versions were being released for testing last year things were much worse and the developers kept saying it was because the code was Beta and by the time the RTM would be released the "sluggish" performance would be rectified. I think they were trying so hard to abandon native code and their (Microsoft) decision to ship something so much more inefficient then a previous version is a testament to how determined they are. The answer is not RAM that's just what everyone assumes right away. It is pretty bad that you know while developing this they were benchmarking scenarios that people are complaining about in this thread and again they chose to say, we need WPF and .NET/C# to succeed and C++ be used less and less. Well here's the result. If anyone disagrees just look back at some of the blog posts by VS developers while betas and such were being tested and see what their answers were for the pitifully slow results people were getting.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Just upgraded to SP!.. Still terrible.

Microsoft! Stop adding new features and fix what is broken or running slow!!!

Features are no good if you cannot use the interface!!!!

I am sick and tired of have to do work arounds. Why spend the money on the professionalversion if the free version does basically the job!

Absolutely horrible.

Stop sending work overseas.... you save a few bucks in crummy programming and it costs developers thousands!

ASP DEveloper
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:56 PM
  • Come on! I have just installed VC2010 express sp1 and NOTHING, still unusable slow, and all the issues and problems with the interface and still THE SAME

But the worst of all is this unpractical and dark UGLY IDE. And with the sp1 STILL they do not offer any option change the colors.

Why I should buy a  proffesional version if they are not able to do the right things with the free version? It seems that I should have to keep using VC2008 :(

Please stop using dot Net for a C/C++ IDE.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:50 PM
  • I don't think the problem is the ram, 
    My last config was a core i5 4gram win xp x32, and i had no problem with vs2010 at all even with reshaper witch is a tird party ram eater!
    With my new compter core i7 8gram win7 x64, it is a lot slower, the main problem is building a solution it takes about a minute vs 10sec with my old pc.
    To me the problem is eather de core i7 or windows 7 x64.
    I'm not an ASP developper but i read somewhere that the framework 4 has some issues with somes antivirus when programming asp applications, maybe this could help you somehow. 
    I will try to install a virtual machine with win xp 32 bit and reinstall vs 2010 on it.Maybe it will run faster who knows...

Sorry for my English, i'm actually french

Friday, July 08, 2011 11:48 PM
  • I have similar issues, and only thing that helped me was to make ram disk and to setup fallback location to use ramdisk. Now it works better.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:27 AM
  • Hi,

I tried what mastermemorex did:

"have both version running right now VS2008 and VS2010 with the same project, the 2010 verson takes 180Mb of my RAM while 2008 takes only 44Mb. I have unchecked the Enable rich experience in Tool->Options->Enviroment->General and it seems that it runs a little better.

But what really drops me out is the VS2010 theme colors . They are UGLY!  :(  "

It improved the speed significantly. I was getting a lot of slow display refresh problems before. Now it is ok. Thanks !!!!

Friday, November 04, 2011 2:54 AM
  • Why hasn't a microsoft professional posted here or solved this problem? I am posting in 2012 and my visual C++ 2010 is garbage. It takes minutes to load on start and when I create a program it freezes, I then have to open task manager to close. Microsoft is a true American brand and I went against the anti-microsoft hype for that reason alone and they have repaid me with garbage.

I realize This is a worthless post and helps accomplish nothing but so do the posts above this...

Switched to codeblocks. It amazes me how a simple program not created by a corporate giant is so useful. Zero load time, compatible with multiple compilers, free... What more could an inexperienced programmer ask for because surely an experienced one wouldnt care to pay extra for all the added features that I have no use for and I am sure is the reason VS C++ is so slow.

Perhaps I am wrong and my new computer and I are not compatible with VS C++. If thats the case I appologize

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 2:25 AM
  • It seems VS2010 is significantly slower than VS2008 because much of it was rewritten in C# instead of C++. There is no quick fix for that calamitous misstep. In the meantime, VS2010 helps remind you how your customers will feel when your commercially competitive C#-based game stutters randomly due to garbage collection.

These changes are all clearly necessary because of the wondrous automated benefits that managed brings to the programmer over Bjarne's kludgy RAII idiom. Benefits like having to remember to manually dispose things at just the right moment and enjoying the contagion of idisposable semantics.

BTW, I think VS11 Beta may be worse. I have to wait seconds for typed characters to appear on the screen. When I press Page Up or Page Down, the text on the screen updates a couple of times and then simply stops despite the line number continuing to count up or down and 100% of a CPU core being consumed. At random times, an unexpected progress bar that fills repeatedly from 0% to 100% appears at the bottom right of the screen; it appears to be unconnected to garbage collection as manipulating Ctrl-Shift-Alt-F12 has no effect. There are also a lot of unusably small dialogs in the UI that aren't resizable. I'm glad the VS development team focused on adding these nice touches instead of adding support for archaic C++11.

• Edited by Aurgelmir Friday, April 06, 2012 10:14 PM
    Friday, April 06, 2012 9:21 PM