"Description for Event ID 0 from source VSTTExecution cannot be found" Server Application Error

Question

• Every time that I run load tests through Visual Studio Ultimate 2010, when I check the Microsoft Server 2008 Application Windows Logs, the following error is logged.

Error General Tab Text:

"The description for Event ID 0 from source VSTTExecution cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

(devenv.exe, PID 5164, Thread 1) StringToVariantHelper.WriteSafeArrayToVariant: Failed to clear the variant. Exception message: Bad variable type. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020008 (DISP_E_BADVARTYPE))

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table"

Error Details Tab Text:

"(devenv.exe, PID 5164, Thread 1) StringToVariantHelper.WriteSafeArrayToVariant: Failed to clear the variant. Exception message: Bad variable type. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020008 (DISP_E_BADVARTYPE))"

(devenv.exe is the Visual Studio application, that's about all I can add to explaining this error)

Our test environment consists of

• a controller on server A
    • a test agent on Server A
    • a test agent on server B

I am running the test on Server A, and I open visual studio Ultimate 2010 with Administrator privileges.

A bug regarding this error message was submitted to Microsoft by a different person, but that person did not respond to follow-up communication from Microsoft, and it was marked 'Not reproducible'.  Load Test fails to run using remote collection settings

I do not know if the error is causing issues with load testing.  I am able to run load-tests, and collect data from both agents.

However, I worry that the error may be having a negative effect on the load-test, and I would rather that it not occur.

Any advice or feedback regarding this issue will be most appreciated.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:39 AM

Answers