none
Viewing SQL Server 2012 Documentation online

Question

• Hi,

I wonder if someone can help me with a problem I'm having with the Microsoft Help View in SQL Server 2012 Express.

I've just installed SQL Server 2012 SP1 Express. Everything installed OK, however when I've tried to use help it defaults to offline mode. I've been trying to get it back to view content online.

When I open the Help Library Manager from SQL Management Studio (Help/Manage Help Settings) all I get is this

As you can see there isn't an option to toggle between online and offline or even a settings link in the top right. I cannot access the Help Library Manager from All Programs/Microsoft SQL Server 2012/Documentation and Community/Manage Help Settings at the Documentation and Community folder does not exist.

I've also tried changing the FirstTimeRun setting to true in the HelpLibManager.exe.config file, but this was already set to true and changing to false and then back to true didn't work either.

I would be grateful for any help you may have on this, thank you

Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:30 AM

All replies

• Hello!

See if the link below can help you:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/james-sql-footprint/2012/04/01/install-sql-server-2012-book-online-on-local-disk/

Regards,

André César Rodrigues

Please click the Mark as answer button and vote as helpful if this reply solves your problem. Thanks!

Blog: http://sqlmagu.blogspot.com.br  LinkedIn:   

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 5:14 PM
  • Hi André,

Thank you for your reply. I was hoping to be able to reconnect to books online, but I think I'm going to have to resign myself to creating a local copy as you suggest.

Unfortunately, this too in causing problems. I have followed the instructions outlined in the link you suggested but can only get as far as step 3. as I do not have a 'Manage Help Settings' start menu item and when I open the Help Settings from within SQL Management Studio all I get is image shown in my original post.

So Basically it is not giving me the option to either connect to the SQL Server Books online or install a local copy. Thanks again.

John

Thursday, June 27, 2013 11:52 AM
  • Hi John,

Did you ever find an answer to this? I have exactly the same problem. I've tried temporarily removing some settings in the Registry under Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Help to no avail. It's very frustrating. Thank goodness we have Google :)

Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:58 AM
  • Hi Linda,

Yes I did manage to get it working and it was embarrassingly straight forward.

I can't quite remember to actual steps, but is was whilst I was attempting to install the offline content the options to select either offline or online came back.

Sorry, I cannot be much more help than that, but I can reassure you, the option is there and it is available without resorting to registry or config file changes.

John

Thursday, August 29, 2013 8:39 AM