none
how to use MS Access 2013 365 from vb.net 2012

Question

• I just installed Windows 8 Pro, Visual Studio 2012 Pro, and Microsoft Office 2013 365.  I created a database that has accdb extension and tried to add it to a VB.NET Windows project.  I selected Add New Data Source, then added new data source and pointed it to the accdb file that I previously created with Access.  VB.NET threw up an error that it is an unrecognized database format.  Well, I thought maybe my computer doesn't have the access db driver installed, so I downloaded and installed the Access 2013 runtime redistribution files.  That didn't help my problem.  So how can I use the accdb file in a program without purchasing the full version of access to be installed on my computer? 

Thanks

• Moved by Shanks Zen Monday, July 08, 2013 7:19 AM
    Sunday, July 07, 2013 1:42 AM

Answers

• Is your app running 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit? You need to make certain that you have the correct version of the Access database engine installed. I think the Data Designer tool may use the 32-bit version.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

• Marked as answer by AncientDragon Monday, July 08, 2013 1:09 PM
    Monday, July 08, 2013 12:34 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Even thou you are using VB.NET the issue is better asked here http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=adodotnetdataproviders

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Sunday, July 07, 2013 4:37 AM
  • Is your app running 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit? You need to make certain that you have the correct version of the Access database engine installed. I think the Data Designer tool may use the 32-bit version.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

• Marked as answer by AncientDragon Monday, July 08, 2013 1:09 PM
    Monday, July 08, 2013 12:34 PM
  • Yes, I had the 64-bit version installed.  I uninstalled it and installed the 32-bit version.  Everything works ok now.  Thanks for your suggestion.
    Monday, July 08, 2013 1:09 PM