DataGridView control properties have disappeared!

General discussion

• Greetings. I have a DataGridView control in a form, and as of a day ago, when I click on the control, I get *no* properties listed in the Properties pane of the IDE. The properties pane is totally blank. Neither properties nor events are visible. I have tried everything. Prior to this, the properties and events displayed normally.

Other controls' properties are displayed when I click on them, but not the DataGridView control. If, after clicking on my DataGridView control, I use the combo-box on the Properties pane to look at any other control's properties, they come right up. If I then select my control's name (DataGridView1) in the Properties pane combo-box, the IDE crashes completely and I have to restart.

I tried a repair re-installation. The same things happens.

I can set properties etc. programatically, but that sorta defeats the point of an IDE, not so?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?
    Monday, September 21, 2009 7:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Heliophagus,

Welcome to MSDN forums!

This IDE issue "DataGridView control properties have disappeared" sounds unbelievable.
    Here are some suggestions:
    1. Disable Add-ns (e.g. “Tools” | “Add-in Manager”) or run “devenv.exe /safemode”.
        This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins are causing problems.
    2. Can you drad this DataGridView control on Form designer?
    3. If you add a new DataGridView control, does this issue still occur?
    4. Can your project be compiled and run successfully? What are error or warning if failed?
    5. You can consider sending your project(zip package) to me for investigation. v-maxie@microsoft.com

Best regards,
    Martin Xie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:32 AM
  • Hi,

it seems, i've got the same problem here. In one of my solutions the properties panel in the designer stays blank. Neither properties nor events are displayed. There's no error message either. If i create a new form and add a DGV to it, the properties panel also stays blank. The solution builds properly and runs w/o problems. Properties of the DGV set at runtime work.
    If i create a new solution anything works as expected. No problem. Older versions of the affected solution also don't show the Effect. Sadly the older versions are too old to restart developing further onto them...

Any help appreciated.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Thank you Heliophagus and void for reporting this issue.

Such issue "Problem in Visual Studio not showing datagrid properties" has been fed back into Microsoft Connect Portal.
    https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=469206&wa=wsignin1.0

But we cannot reproduce this issue. You can consider sending your project(zip package) to me for investigation. v-maxie@microsoft.com

Thanks!

Best regards,
    Martin Xie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 10:55 AM
  • I've encountered the same problem - when selecting the DataGridView in designer view, the properties window remains blank. 

If trying to select the DataGridView from the properties window combo, the IDE crashes.

No Add-ins are enabled.

I can drag the DGV in the form designer.

When adding another DGV, the problem occurs with both. Actually, this problem started for me after I added a second DGV to the form.

The project compiles and runs.

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 2:32 AM
  • I am aware this an old question but I just ran into this problem.  I believe the issue is caused by the inability to write some kind of temporary file.

An answer in this thread (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/winformsdesigner/thread/5316b3a9-6c31-40c0-9e2b-a7224db13486) suggested the cause was insufficient disk space.  I had plenty of disk space but when I disabled my antivirus my DataGridView properties suddenly appeared.

No clue what or where it's trying to write to though.

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 9:26 PM