Best Book for XNA...

Question

• Is this a good book for programming on XNA, I saw it on thezbuffer.com, and I am looking for somthing under $20.
    Sunday, August 20, 2006 9:06 PM

Answers

• If you dont know how to program in C# get a book that teaches that. If you already know how to program and want to get into 3D game programming I liked Managed DirectX by Tom Miller.

As for the book in question the author is David Weller aka www.letskilldave.com and is on the XNA team not sure if that is the book that had a bad first editon and is better now. I should head to the B&N and look at what they have.

Sunday, August 20, 2006 11:07 PM

All replies

• To answer your question no.

To elaborate on that answer :-

The book you mention is out of date and does not really teach you anything about programming games in c#. The author does not seem to understand the subject matter very well and as a result gives often misleading information about code organisation, when to use which methods etc. etc.

If you were to follow the examples in the book I doubt you could get any of them to run successfully. This will not be due to your level of knowledge but, rather because the code doesn't work with the latest version of .net or the directx libraries.

You would do better to get the microsoft press book on c# and the one on managed directx to learn about programming c# and how to use it with the managed libraries.

hope that helps
    Sunday, August 20, 2006 10:02 PM
  • Than can somebody recomend a good book or two?
    Sunday, August 20, 2006 11:00 PM
  • If you dont know how to program in C# get a book that teaches that. If you already know how to program and want to get into 3D game programming I liked Managed DirectX by Tom Miller.

As for the book in question the author is David Weller aka www.letskilldave.com and is on the XNA team not sure if that is the book that had a bad first editon and is better now. I should head to the B&N and look at what they have.

Sunday, August 20, 2006 11:07 PM
  • Are any of these 1, 2, 3, 4 good?
    Sunday, August 20, 2006 11:10 PM
  • I have spent a small fortune on books telling me how to program games and they have all failed (including the book you mentioned). I am not a bad VB programmer, but with this XNA announcement I have suddenly thrust myself into learning C# and come the 30th will be going through the XNA documentation as best I can.

I don't think getting a book on managed DirectX will not help you very much with XNA as this XNA is a new API. Best suggestion I think anybody can give to you is that you hunker down with a good C# book and ride the wave of XNA documentation as it arrives because the XNA will probably not teach you how to program C#.

Monday, August 21, 2006 12:02 AM
  • If you want a C# book recommendation and don't know how to programme or haven't had experience with C, C++ or JAVA then I can recommend Microsoft Visual C# 2005 Step by Step. I learned to programme with the VB version of this book which worked and the Microsoft Press books in general are of a very high standard.
    Monday, August 21, 2006 12:07 AM
  • I had a leaf through that book Microsoft Visual C# Step by Step and it seemed ok.  But never mentioned a thing about data structures, eg Linked Lists, Trees, Hash Tables etc.  I have programmed at a university level in Java and C(not ++) but I will need a refresher, are there any other recommended books that start pretty simple but do include some more advanced topics?
    Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:00 AM
  • I'm in the same boat as a lot of the people here looking to program in C#.

I have some expereince in C++, C and Java... but am really just a novice in them.

I've flipped through numerous books briefly to find one that was suitable. I am now learning C# using this book, which is very good.

Microsoft Visual C# .NET 2003 Kick Start

I would suggest it to novice to advanced programmers with no expereince in C#. The absolute newb to programming would most likely have problems getting through it.

You may even want to go through the first few chapters and end when you get to the stuff on databases... it's up to you.

But after this the best option would be to dig through the XNA documentation... with a firm grasp of C# they aren't difficult to understand... also.. use the starter kits!
    Friday, September 01, 2006 8:18 PM