How To Delete All History

Question

• Our database is unnecesarily large and I'm wanting to remove the file history to reduce the size.

I've seen this question posted numerous times and I'm still confused as to how to delete the history (but not delete the files) from our database. Various posts say to use "Archive". I'm unsure if they're talking about the ssarc commandline utility, or the archive wizard?

Can someone clarify how to do this? Note that I don't want to delete the project, just all of the history associated with the files within the project.

Thanks,

Brian

Sunday, February 17, 2008 8:04 PM

Answers

• The Archive wizard and SSARC are essentially the same tool.  I'd recommend following the wizard if you haven't done it before.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 3:11 PM
  • It means that all of the historical info prior to the date range / label you specified will be written to the archive file and removed from the database.  This includes both the history and the actual file contents.  The current version may or may not be included depending on what date / label you choose.
    Monday, March 03, 2008 10:53 PM

All replies

• The Archive wizard and SSARC are essentially the same tool.  I'd recommend following the wizard if you haven't done it before.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 3:11 PM
  • Thanks, but I'm still confused. There's no option to purge history, only "Destroy data permanently" . I don't want to destroy all of my files, just the history. How do I purge the history but leave the current version intact?

From the docs:

---------

Wizard Step 2 of 3

Delete data permanently - Destroys the data permanently after the archive is complete.

---------

It is unclear what "data" means. Is it the history? To me, it sounds like the backup will proceed and eveyrthing will be deleted, including the current version.

Saturday, March 01, 2008 5:16 PM
  • It means that all of the historical info prior to the date range / label you specified will be written to the archive file and removed from the database.  This includes both the history and the actual file contents.  The current version may or may not be included depending on what date / label you choose.
    Monday, March 03, 2008 10:53 PM