none
WSUS Will Not Download Content

Question

• Hello everyone....

I am having difficulty getting WSUS to transfer files from the Microsoft Update site and store them locally using W2012 RC.  I am having no problems getting the "list" of updates from the Microsoft Server.

Important Note:  Our Company is using a proxy server which requires authentication.

To troubleshoot, I have configured two virtual machines (on the same host) to run WSUS; One is running W2008R2 with SP1, and the other is running W2012 RC.  Both server's basic configuration are the same except for their IP address and these WSUS configuration settings:

• W2012 needed the NET-Frame-Core feature added in order to us the Report Viewer.
    • W2012 has KB2627818 installed.
    • W2008R2 has KB2720211 installed.

The Proxy server information is entered on both machines and a Sync is requested.  The results are:

• The W2008R2 Machine gets a list of updates and downloads any approved updates without issue.
    • The W2012RC Machine gets a list of updates but fails to download any approved updates.
    • The W2012RC Machine is making folders inside the "WSUSContent" folder (ie:  B0, B3, B7... etc..)

It appears that the BITS service does not go to the proxy and is trying to get to the Microsoft Update site directly.

The folder permissions for the WSUS storage folder on both servers is identical.  The accounts running the WSUS (Networ Service) and BITS (Local System) are also identical.

From what I can see, the BITS service on W2008R2 is using the proxy information I specified in the WSUS console, but the same is not true for the W2012 machine.

Any suggestions on how to over come this problem?  Is there a possibility that when the WSUS service sents the BITS command it forgets to include the proxy settigns?

Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:52 PM

All replies

• One more hint that the proxy settings are not being loaded or cannot be found:

Error WsusService.24 ContentSyncAgent.SetProxySettings Value does not fall within the expected range.
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ContentSyncAgent.SetProxySettings(IBitsJob job)

Friday, July 27, 2012 2:38 PM
  • I know this is about a month old but I have the exact same problem with the RTM version of Windows 2012.  My proxy server doesn't even see the traffic attempt.  Any one know of a work-around?
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:00 PM
  • So I turned off the proxy configuration in WSUS and setup a rule in TMG to allow anonymous traffic to Windows Updates web sites.  It started working.  I don't think this should cause a big deal as it's just to the Windows Update sites.
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:03 PM
  • I know this is about a month old but I have the exact same problem with the RTM version of Windows 2012.  My proxy server doesn't even see the traffic attempt.  Any one know of a work-around?

I have same problem
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:04 AM

I am also having this problem.
    Friday, September 07, 2012 12:20 AM
  • Having the same problem.

Account used to sync with MS is fine.

WSUS just won't download the approved updates.

"2013-01-10 13:47:33.444 UTC Error WsusService.27 ContentSyncAgent.SetProxySettings Value does not fall within the expected range."

and

"WsusService.27 EventLogEventReporter.ReportEvent EventId=364,Type=Error,Category=Synchronization,Message=Content file download failed. Reason: Value does not fall within the expected range."

Still digging...

Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:51 PM
  • Same issue seen here . Resolved by bypassing the proxy and punching a hole through our firewall . Not ideal !

Does MS have any news / workarounds / input ???

Friday, January 11, 2013 12:40 PM
  • Having the same problem. Account used to sync with MS is fine. WSUS just won't download the approved updates.

"2013-01-10 13:47:33.444 UTC Error WsusService.27 ContentSyncAgent.SetProxySettings Value does not fall within the expected range."

and "WsusService.27 EventLogEventReporter.ReportEvent EventId=364,Type=Error,Category=Synchronization,Message=Content file download failed. Reason: Value does not fall within the expected range." Still digging...

UPDATE:

In the WSUS console on a server 2012, my co-worker went into the Options, "Update Source and Proxy Server", under the "Proxy Server" tab, KEPT the check mark for "Use a proxy server when synchronizing", but UNCHECKED the "Use user credentials to connect to the proxy server".

I can at least now log in and download updates.

The folders under WsusContent now have files in them.

This drove us nuts!

• Proposed as answer by Daemon-GTC Friday, January 18, 2013 5:49 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 12:27 PM
  • Important Note:  Our Company is using a proxy server which requires authentication.

Turning off authentication is not a resolution

• Edited by Phil Oakley Friday, January 25, 2013 2:36 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 2:35 PM
  • Having the same problem with a brand new W2012. Driving me mad. Works fine with a W2008 WSUS server using the same proxy authentication account. Proxy is ISA 2006 - hardly some weird and wonderful bit of kit.. :-(
    • Edited by andreww Tuesday, February 05, 2013 6:08 PM
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 6:08 PM
  • I resolved my 'Content file download failed. Reason: Value does not fall within the expected range' with specifying FQDN domain name on tab Proxy Server.

NetBIOS domain name was not enough.

O$o6b

Friday, April 19, 2013 11:34 AM
  • This worked for me.
    Friday, April 19, 2013 1:40 PM
  • A hotfix is available for this issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2838998

tony

• Proposed as answer by Roman Padalko Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:42 AM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:15 PM
  • Thank you, it is working.

O$o6b