Windows 8 Apps are missing and Store App will not Launch?

Question

• I posted this in in the answers forum for Microsoft under Windows 8, and they directed me here. So here goes.

So, I just reinstalled Windows 8. As soon as I installed it, I entered Audit Mode and using an XML file to move the location of my ProgramData Folder and my Users Folder to my secondary harddrive (as described here). Upon finishing, rebooting and configuring Windows, I realized I only have one Windows 8 Metro App: Store. Music, Messenger, People, Calendar, Email, all the rest of them are missing. So I try to open Store and it will not open. I click on Store and absolutely nothing happens. I ONLY moved ProgramData and Users. nothing else.

Any ideas why it they are not working/how to fix it?

Sunday, July 15, 2012 1:50 PM

Answers

• Read the warning found on the link you provided..

"Relocating ProgramData can only be recommended for hardcore enthusiasts ;) for Windows 8 Metro apps do not like ProgramData being moved.

Please remember that you can relocate ProgramData with sysprep if you want to, following instructions on this tutorial, but if you do so you cannot use pre-installed Metro apps nor can you open Windows Store (a Metro app itself) to get new Metro apps.

Other than that Windows 8 works just fine."

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, July 20, 2012 5:15 PM

All replies

•  I entered Audit Mode and using an XML file to move the location of my ProgramData Folder and my Users Folder to my secondary harddrive

I think this is the cause and moving the program folder is not supported by MSFT.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Sunday, July 15, 2012 4:13 PM
  • Read the warning found on the link you provided..

"Relocating ProgramData can only be recommended for hardcore enthusiasts ;) for Windows 8 Metro apps do not like ProgramData being moved.

Please remember that you can relocate ProgramData with sysprep if you want to, following instructions on this tutorial, but if you do so you cannot use pre-installed Metro apps nor can you open Windows Store (a Metro app itself) to get new Metro apps.

Other than that Windows 8 works just fine."

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, July 20, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Well I will be damned. xD Now I feel like an idiot. Thanks. So moving ProgramData back should fix it. As long as I can keep Users where it is, I will be fine.
    Friday, July 20, 2012 5:17 PM
  • No worries. I am not even going to lie and say I have never done that before.

Friday, July 20, 2012 5:37 PM
  • I took a different approach.  I moved ProgramData and Users and created symbolic links to the new location.

It seems to work but I don't know about apps.  As a domain user I have not been able to get any to work, not even the store.  So I gave up.

Saturday, July 21, 2012 4:06 AM
  • If I want the Store to work and have all the other apps, I should have used the Windows 8 Release Preview with Apps ISO correct?  I downloaded and installed the other one.  :(
    • Edited by sean678544 Thursday, August 09, 2012 5:54 PM
    Thursday, August 09, 2012 4:21 PM
  • Type CMD in Start screen or Start screen search and simultaneously
    press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys to open Command Prompt with admin rights.

In the elevated prompt, type the following command: SFC /SCANNOW

Reboot computer this should repair any damages files.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 7:21 PM