none
Failure of restore database sql server 2008 r2

Question

• Hello

I wanted to restore an sql server 2008 r2 database but i got the messsage : SQL server cannot process this media family.RESTORE HEADERONLY is terminating abnormally.ERROR:3241 

Any Help?

Best Regards...Please mark as answer if my post is helpful http://yosr-jemili.blogspot.com

Friday, August 16, 2013 12:51 PM

Answers

• This problem generally occurs if you restoring the backup file which was created from the database(server) of higher version to the Database(Server) of lower version. Please check the Version of backup.

if this is not the case then your backup file might have got corrupted somehow.

• Edited by AbhishekJain86 Friday, August 16, 2013 12:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by YosrJ Monday, August 19, 2013 9:01 AM
    Friday, August 16, 2013 12:54 PM
  • Hi

As per Microsoft soft backup policy from higher version backup file can't be restore into lower version and vise versa is possible from lower to higher version is possible.

Please elaborate your question like what is version(+build version) details of backup file server .

NOTE: If in case both server (source and destination) are same version , it might be problem with backup file. Please cross check whether the backup file is valued or not by using backup verify command .

• Marked as answer by YosrJ Monday, August 19, 2013 9:02 AM
    Friday, August 16, 2013 1:10 PM
  • In addition to the other posts (as I'm pretty sure the cause is exactly as they've listed - that you're trying to restore a SQL 2008 R2 database to a lower version)...  can you run "select @@version" and let us know the results as I've seen a few cases where people have upgraded Management Studio but not the underlying SQL Server and therefore think that they're using SQL Server 2008 R2 when in fact they're using an older version and therefore the backups won't work and give the error you have specified.
    • Marked as answer by YosrJ Monday, August 19, 2013 10:40 AM
    Friday, August 16, 2013 1:30 PM
  • your only real option is to restore to a 2008 R2 instance.  Or, you could go through the effort of scripting all the data out, but in my experience, that's a nightmare that seldom works

Thanks, Andrew

Friday, August 16, 2013 1:55 PM
  • I completely agree with Andrew's comment...  you don't really have a choice I'm afraid.  You can only restore to a SQL 2008 R2 instance and then script the entire database and export all the data into the SQL 2005 version.  It is a horrible process though.

Either that or upgrade your SQL 2005 server.  But again, that's not a simple solution either.

Sorry.

Friday, August 16, 2013 2:15 PM

All replies

• This problem generally occurs if you restoring the backup file which was created from the database(server) of higher version to the Database(Server) of lower version. Please check the Version of backup.

if this is not the case then your backup file might have got corrupted somehow.

• Edited by AbhishekJain86 Friday, August 16, 2013 12:56 PM
    Friday, August 16, 2013 12:54 PM
  • Hi

As per Microsoft soft backup policy from higher version backup file can't be restore into lower version and vise versa is possible from lower to higher version is possible.

Please elaborate your question like what is version(+build version) details of backup file server .

NOTE: If in case both server (source and destination) are same version , it might be problem with backup file. Please cross check whether the backup file is valued or not by using backup verify command .

• Marked as answer by YosrJ Monday, August 19, 2013 9:02 AM
    Friday, August 16, 2013 1:10 PM
  • In addition to the other posts (as I'm pretty sure the cause is exactly as they've listed - that you're trying to restore a SQL 2008 R2 database to a lower version)...  can you run "select @@version" and let us know the results as I've seen a few cases where people have upgraded Management Studio but not the underlying SQL Server and therefore think that they're using SQL Server 2008 R2 when in fact they're using an older version and therefore the backups won't work and give the error you have specified.
    • Marked as answer by YosrJ Monday, August 19, 2013 10:40 AM
    Friday, August 16, 2013 1:30 PM
  • Thanks everyone for your quick response 

I thought i have using SQL server 2008 by opening the sql management but when i tried as suggested me KEVIN i had : 

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.1399.06 (Intel X86)   Oct 14 2005 00:33:37   Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation  Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 3) 

My database is created by SQL server 2008 on another server 

So what do you suggest for me?

Regards

Best Regards...Please mark as answer if my post is helpful http://yosr-jemili.blogspot.com

Friday, August 16, 2013 1:52 PM
  • your only real option is to restore to a 2008 R2 instance.  Or, you could go through the effort of scripting all the data out, but in my experience, that's a nightmare that seldom works

Thanks, Andrew

Friday, August 16, 2013 1:55 PM
  • I completely agree with Andrew's comment...  you don't really have a choice I'm afraid.  You can only restore to a SQL 2008 R2 instance and then script the entire database and export all the data into the SQL 2005 version.  It is a horrible process though.

Either that or upgrade your SQL 2005 server.  But again, that's not a simple solution either.

Sorry.

Friday, August 16, 2013 2:15 PM
  • Hello thanks for everyone especially kevin 

I installed a new named  instance sql server 2008 and it worked 

Regards

Monday, August 19, 2013 10:41 AM