none
SQL Server 2008(Enterprise Edition) Uninstallation of tools and services

Question

• Hi,

In spite of removing SQL SERVER 2008(64 bit) from our server, I can still see it in "Add or remove" programs.

On running discovery report, I found out that following features are not getting unistalled.

Can any one please help me to remove these features.

Thanks and Regards, Navodaya

Friday, December 27, 2013 9:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

did you restart your machine ( windows Box) after uninstallation.If not please restart and check.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Edited by Shanky_621 Friday, December 27, 2013 9:20 AM
    Friday, December 27, 2013 9:20 AM
  • Hi Shanky_621,

Yes I restarted my machine, still these features are not getting uninstalled.

Friday, December 27, 2013 9:24 AM
  • Hi Shanky_621,

Yes I restarted my machine, still these features are not getting uninstalled.

Hello 

Try removing again.Use below link

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143412(v=sql.100).aspx

if it fails or you face any issue use below link( see answer by yo yo yu)

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/4d6158a1-b601-428c-aad4-a1716e76de1a/install-sql-server-problem?forum=sqlexpress

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Friday, December 27, 2013 10:05 AM
  • Hi,

In spite of removing SQL SERVER 2008(64 bit) from our server, I can still see it in "Add or remove" programs.

On running discovery report, I found out that following features are not getting unistalled.

Can any one please help me to remove these features.

Hello,

I think i missed one point .There are two instances on you system SQL server 2008 r2 as well as SQl server 2008 .Which one you tried to remove ?

Just make sure you select correct instance during uninstallation.

Please revert if any query

Friday, December 27, 2013 10:11 AM
  • Hi Shanky,

I am trying to uninstall SQL SERVER 2008.

I have tried to remove it 4-5 times and on all those occassions uninstallation was successful. But those features that I have mentioned are still present.

• Edited by Navodaya Friday, December 27, 2013 10:15 AM
    Friday, December 27, 2013 10:14 AM
  • By the Discovery Report only the "Shared Components" like SSMS / SSIS are left. During uninstallation you have to select "Remove shared features only", have you done that?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, December 27, 2013 12:14 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

I have tried that as well, but it did not work.

Regards,

Navo

Friday, December 27, 2013 12:18 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

I have tried that as well, but it did not work.

Regards,

Navo

Did you tired 2nd Link posted by me.Did you tried yo yo yu suggestion of removing registry.Were you successful please tell.Make sure you follow it step by step

Friday, December 27, 2013 12:21 PM
  • Hi Navodaya,

From the screen shot (Discovery report) i see that the components which are listed are shared tools which belong to SQL Server 2008 R2 (not SQL 2008). If you notice the VERSION column we see the build as 10.52.4000 which is SQL Server 2008 R2 + Service pack 2.

Microsoft

Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Service Pack 2

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=30437

If you need to remove the shared components of SQL server 2008 R2 select the "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)" for uninstall.

HTH

Sunday, December 29, 2013 8:16 AM
  • Hi,

I dont want to uninstall SQL server 2008 R2. We  need it for project prpose.

Monday, December 30, 2013 6:16 AM