none
Oracle.DataAccess.Client missing

    Question

  • I have installed Visual Studio 2008 and compatible(latest) Oracle Client on Windows 7.
    When I run my project, I am getting error that Oracle.DataAccess.dll

    Warning 1 Namespace or type specified in the Imports 'Oracle.DataAccess.Client' doesn't contain any public member or cannot be found. Make sure the namespace or the type is defined and contains at least one public member. Make sure the imported element name doesn't use any aliases. E:\<path>

    Could anyone please enlighten me whats happening? and a possible work-around for this.

    PS: If I have posted in wrong forum, please redirect me to the apt one.


    Thanks in advance,
    Pranav
    • Moved by YiChun Chen Friday, February 05, 2010 9:04 AM ADO.NET issue (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:55 PM

Answers

  • I got solution for this...
    Actually I installed the latest Oracle Client (10.2.0.2.20).
    The Oracle.DataAccess.dll is present in C:\Oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\ODP.NET\bin\1.x unlike the previous version which used to present in C:\Oracle\bin. And also it is not populated in the .NET References list. I browsed and added it. Its working fine.

    Thank you very much Mazur!
    Friday, February 05, 2010 1:49 PM

All replies

  • Hi Pranav,

    I am moving this thread from Base "Visual Studio Setup and Installation" forum to the "ADO.NET Data Providers" forum, since the issue is related to ADO.NET. There are more experts in the "ADO.NET Data Providers" forum.

    Thanks
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, February 05, 2010 9:04 AM
  • Installing provider is not enough. You also need to set reference to the provider's DLL from your project to be able to work with it. Do you have reference to it?
    Val Mazur (MVP) http://www.xporttools.net
    Friday, February 05, 2010 11:34 AM
  • Yes... Thats the problem.
    I tried to add it from the .NET References. But, I couldn't see it in the list of .NET components.

    Previously, I got it implicitly after installing VS 2008.


    Regards,
    Pranav
    Friday, February 05, 2010 12:48 PM
  • I got solution for this...
    Actually I installed the latest Oracle Client (10.2.0.2.20).
    The Oracle.DataAccess.dll is present in C:\Oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\ODP.NET\bin\1.x unlike the previous version which used to present in C:\Oracle\bin. And also it is not populated in the .NET References list. I browsed and added it. Its working fine.

    Thank you very much Mazur!
    Friday, February 05, 2010 1:49 PM
  • Hi,

    I've installedl ODP.NET 10.2.0 version on Windows 7 , when trying to install  ODAC patch  , i got error related to windows version , 6.1.

    I have managed to edit param.ini config file adding 6.1 for windows 7 , that worked well. When i am working with console/winforms apps, the referenced oracle.DataAccess.Client.dll is working fine, communicating with the database without any issues.When trying to use the same dll in a webservice, it threw me policy/security exception, for which i have registered the dll in GAC , after that i am seeing a new issue, TNSNAMES ora..unable to identify connection specifiers.

    Can someone please  let me know whats going on with Windows 7 and ODP.NET 10.2.0 .I need to use the same 10.2.0 instead of 11g client on Windows 7. I have these    C:\Oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\ODP.NET\bin\1.x

                                           C:\Oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\ODP.NET\bin\2.x

    am using the DLL from C:\Oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\ODP.NET\bin\2.x(working fine  with winforms/console but not with webservice , am using VS 2010.please let me know your suggestions.

    Thanks

    kumar

    Friday, November 19, 2010 1:27 AM