System update required unable to install or run the application. The application requires that assembly stdole Version 7.0.3300.0 be installed in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) first.

Question

• I have a VB 2008 application that was developed on a Vista machine, installed from a CD onto my wife's XP machine which is pretty much up to date with SP's, etc.  Send the CD to a friend and she got the message

"System update required unable to install or run the application.  The application requires that assembly stdole Version 7.0.3300.0 be installed in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) first. "

I saw references to this in VV 2005 dated back in 2005 but nothing noting the problem in VB2008.   Is there a known fix that I can so or that the friend can download and install on her XP machine to get around this.  I have no idea of the level of that XP but expect it has seen few if any updates and it is a days drive away so that isn't a solution.       
    Monday, July 20, 2009 4:46 PM

All replies

• The problem may be administative privilege, tell your friend to run the CD as administrator.
    kaymaf
    I hope this helps, if that is what you want, just mark it as answer so that we can move on
    Monday, July 20, 2009 5:16 PM
  • This is not the problem as her userID always runs as administrator.  I think that the problem is some item missing from her machine but I haven't got a clue.  The message is pretty ambiguous when it comes to trouble shooting.
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 7:22 PM
  • Does this help ?

http://th2tran.blogspot.com/2009/03/stdole-7033000.html

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winformssetup/thread/43398969-4228-41d7-a792-8dd66472b79f

Coding for fun Be a good forum member mark posts that contain the answers to your questions or those that are helpful
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:20 PM
  • Thanks but it doesn't shed any light.  The problem occurs during installation attempt.  Pgm has been installed on two other computers with no problems.  One Vista and one XP.  On the XP machine it requested and completed a download of updated .net components.   I am trying to find out if the owner of the failing machine allowed or was even asked permission to download updated .net. 
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 3:13 PM
  • I just marked above as NOT proposed as Answer as we are talking about VB2008 and not a beta either.  All of the references in the second link above are re VB2005 and Office pgms.  This is NOT an office pgm and it was developed and compiled using VB2008, installed on a Vista and on an XP machine, worked fine.  It did download updated .net on the XP machine.  It will NOT install in second XP machine and I am now trying to get an answer re was the download requested and did it happen.  

Thanks for you help, but I don't think the problem has been answered.  I will update this when I get an answer back re the status of the level of .net and other items in the failing machine.   
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 4:09 PM