Visual SourceSafe converts unicode files to Binary.

Question

• Hi I have a problem when checking in files into VSS 2005. When I check in any file (*.txt, *.sql, etc) that I have created or edited in TextPad and saved as "Unicode" it automatically converts it to binary when it is saved in VSS 2005. Why does this happen?

This problem only ocours when I use TextPad as the editor, if I use Notepad and save as Unicode then VSS recognizes it correctly as Unicode. Can someone tell me why this is happening and if there is a way to stop VSS from automaticaly reading it as Binary if I use TextPad.

Also in TextPad if I save as ANSI then VSS recognizes it correctly.

Thank You,

Alex

Monday, August 23, 2010 8:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Alex,

Were the files with problem added as text files? If not, you may right-click the file, click Properties and change the file type in the General tab.

You can also take a look at the article below about how VSS identifies file types.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5fdkw2w1(VS.80).aspx

Regards,

Catherine Sea
    Version Control Software | Software Configuration Management Solution

Monday, August 23, 2010 9:53 PM
  • Hi Catherine,

Thank you for the quick reply. Yes the files that I added were text files. I was able to find a solution to the problem. The way that you have suggested works (to manually change the file type). Although I have found a way to still have VSS automatically detect the files as Unicode without manually having to change they type myself.

The way that I have done this was from TextPad. In the Configure menu in the Preferences I went to Document Classes and under Default there are some check-boxes, here I have checked the box "Write Unicode and UTF-8 BOM" which was not previously checked before. After doing so and repeating my previous actions to test it seems to have fixed the problem.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Alex

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:22 PM
  • Is there a way to change a collection of files from binary to text?

I litteraly have 1000s of files that are declared as binary which are infact saved as unicode text.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 3:35 PM
  • I think you can achieve it using SourceSafe automation.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/4d44xhsd(VS.80).aspx

Catherine Sea
    Version Control Software | Software Configuration Management Solution

Friday, November 19, 2010 7:50 AM