REturned Columns and Order by clause problem

Question

•  

Hi Guys, I am starting to work with LINQ and found some problems that the reason can be my small knolegment about the tecnology, but, its strange.

Well, when I make the following query :

Code Snippet

dim x = From r in datacontext.table where r.name = "Test" select [date] = r.date.toShortDateString, r.Name

Until now, everything ok, but, when I add the Order by [date]. get the following messge.

Both DataSource and DataSourceID are defined on 'gvEvents'.  Remove one definition.

Another question is that, how can I set a alias for my columns with space ? Example:

Code Snippet

SQL - select name as 'My account'  , 'My address' = address from Table

LINQ - .....   select [My account] = name didnt work.

Tks a lot.

Thiago

Consultoria e Desenvolvimento de Soluções em Ti

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:16 PM

All replies

• I'm by no means a LINQ expert (I just started using it yesterday) but have you tried adding the following:

dim x = From r in datacontext.table where r.name = "Test" select [date] = r.date.toShortDateString, r.Name Into TestGroup = Group Order By [date]

The other thing you could try is giving your select fields aliases before doing the order by.  It would look like this I think:

dim x = From r in datacontext.table where r.name = "Test" select MyDate = r.date.toShortDateString, MyName = r.Name

I'm just learning this too so let me know if this works for you.
    Saturday, February 23, 2008 3:44 PM
  • I don't think the name [date] is in scope in your order by and the VB compiler is generating some erroneous error message.  Of course, I'm guessing since you have not shown where the order-by clause is placed in your query.  The select clause you are using is constructing an anonymous type with two fields, one named '[date]' and the other named 'Name'.  You need something in scope that refers to the anonymous type instance before you can access the [date] field.  I'd suggest adding an into clause after the select but before the order-by.

dim x = From r in datacontext.table

Where r.name = "Test"

Select [date] = r.date.toShortDateString, r.Name Into x

Order By x.[date]

Sunday, February 24, 2008 12:29 AM
  •  

The error looks like your gridview has been assigned a datasource in the aspx and in code. This is not a linq error / not linq related, but instead you need to remove either the designer datasource or the code that assigns a datasource...
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 3:03 PM