none
Visio Database Wizard fails - ODBC connection to MS SQL

Question

• When I try to create an ODBC connection in Visio's 2010's Database wizard I get the error: "Cannot set the database context information. Additional error information:ODBC Error: s1009. Database cxweba does not exist."

Note that the database name is cxwebapp_bkk. I get the same error if I connect to any database on that server, and it always truncates the name in the error message (if that is a hint to the error). 

Using Visio 2013, after connecting to the database: when I select the database object I get the error message:  "The selected table has only one field or contains no definition information. The Database Wizard requires a minimum of one key field and one additional data field."

I have this problem using both SQL Server driver (6.02.9200.116384 and SQL Server Native Client 11.0 (2011.1102.2100.60).

I do not have this problem connecting to a MYSQL database with either version of Visio, nor do I have this problem when I link link to the same SQL database in a drawing and link shapes in that drawing using the "Link Data to Shapes" under the Data tab.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:40 PM

All replies

• Hello,

What's the version of the SQL Server instance you connect to? It seems that the Database Wizard in Visio 2010 not work well with the Microsoft SQL Server ODBC driver. Did you try to use the Generic OLEDB Provider for SQL Server?

Since the issue is more related to office Visio, please post the question in the following forum. More experts there will assist you: Visio General Questions and Answers for IT Professionals

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:35 AM
  • I'm running SQL 2012.

I posted this question here as suggested when I posted it in the Visio forum.

How can I find and install the OLEDB Provider for SQL Server? I'm running Windows 8 and don't see the driver listed in the ODBC data source.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:12 PM