none
How to convert text to xml in order to end up with EDI X12 format file for forms 850,855 and 856

Question

• I am getting a text file with labels such as FILEHEADER, DOC HEADER,PO_L, PO_H, SUMMARY plus data. Want to know how to convert such file (850) to xml. I have the schema for 850 (*.xsd) form which is about 99000 lines of tags, but not sure how to map labels in text file to match the schema (or how to approach this project),  I am thinking of building xml client in .net c# to take an 850 form text file and convert it to xml (later on other app would take this xml file and convert it to EDI X12 format). I am new at this so all help is appreciated.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:15 PM

All replies

• 1- Create a schema in your project for the text file using the "Flat File Schema Wizard". Instructions here: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/biztalk/FFSchemaWizard.aspx 2- Add the 850 EDI schema to your project 3- Create a Map from you created schema to the EDI 850 schema
    Senior .Net/Biztalk Developer
    Orlando, Florida Area Hospital & Health Care
    Please Indicate "Mark as Answer" if a Post has Answered the Question
    • Proposed as answer by Racha Rams Thursday, December 01, 2011 7:29 PM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Hello Jorge, I am now considering going with BizTalk solution, so let me understand this first, if I have a text file scripted in a specific format like I was indicating in my first question, I am guessing BizTalk only accepts text files with EDI/text format (ISA*00*....etc.), so in order to come up with the EDI/text for BizTalk to understand, I need to map this vendor given text file which resembles a Purchase Order in VS, and import a 850 schema that the trading partner provides (trading partner only needs a very small subset of the generic 850 schema), then do the mapping like you said in VS (from the text file to the 850 schema), first of all, did I get it right? second, would the mapping in VS generate an EDI text file or would it generate xml file ? and how would the resulting file look like? (my basic understanding of BizTalk is that it takes an EDI text file as input). Thank you Jorge.

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 10:47 PM
  • Sorry for the delay with this one

Biztalk supports any text file. If your client is sending a non-EDI-formatted text file and you want to use the EDI functionality offered by biztalk you will need to convert the client text file to a EDI-formatted text file. This can be done within Biztalk,

Once you have the EDI-formatted (text) file you will apply the EDI schema witch will generate and XML message

Senior .Net/Biztalk Developer
    Orlando, Florida Area Hospital & Health Care
    Please Indicate "Mark as Answer" if a Post has Answered the Question
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:01 PM
  • HI,

To understand the details of sending an EDI file you can download the lab from microsoft site

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=14865

Lab 19 : Sending EDI Messages

For converting flatfiles to xml the flatfile disaaembler will do that for you.

The disassembler component is used in the receive pipeline.

Refer to below link for help on creating a pipeline

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa561179.aspx

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:26 AM
  • Please follow the SDK example at this link and configure the 850 In and 997 Out sample. if you are using EDI X12 documents you dont need to create the Flat File Schema with the Wizard. you already have the Schemas for EDI and many other standards as part of the Biztalk Installation.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb226431.aspx

amit kumar * Please Indicate "Mark as Answer" if this Post has Answered the Question
    • Edited by technoamit Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:30 PM more info
    • Proposed as answer by technoamit Friday, January 27, 2012 7:14 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:28 PM