none
Add 'Unread' to the filter

All replies

• Naomi, this is a feature we do intend to bring back. There are technical issues around why this was not originally put in this new design. To get a better understanding do you see this being a higher priority in a 'My Threads,' 'My Forum Threads' (we are also working to bring this back), or the all up home/forum view? Thanks for the input!

Forums Program Manager

Friday, June 21, 2013 6:19 AM
  • I would like this filter to be available in all the views you mentioned. I think for me the higher priority would be the individual forum view (the Transact-SQL forum I read a lot, for example), but I also need a visual clue in My Threads. Right now all threads in My Threads look exactly the same so it's hard to figure out which I already read and which I need to visit.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, June 21, 2013 1:31 PM
  • I also need a visual clue in My Threads. Right now all threads in My Threads look exactly the same so it's hard to figure out which I already read and which I need to visit.

I assumed this was a bug, so I started a thread here.
    Friday, June 21, 2013 1:40 PM
  • You are correct this is a bug in "My Threads." A user should be able to see if they have read the thread based on the font of the thread title. Thank you Naomi, if I heard you right you would want this in all views but would prioritize it as:

1. Individual forum views
    2. My Threads view
    3. Additional views

Thanks!

Forums Program Manager

Friday, June 21, 2013 5:32 PM
  • According to this thread there once was a "unread posts" function and a "mark thread as read". Today, both are missing... Or they are well hidden in the non-self-explanatory UI. PHPBB is able to provide this function, MSFT should be capable to do so, too.

Martin

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And - of course - my coke bottle sports car

Saturday, June 22, 2013 6:56 PM
  • I can't find the "Unread Posts" either, I think it's been removed. It had been broken for a few months, but when it was working, I relied on it constantly.

Please, please, please put back this functionality!

~~Bonnie Berent DeWitt [C# MVP]

geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com

Saturday, June 22, 2013 11:37 PM
  • Please vote in this thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/96891279-0a0c-4ee7-a19b-7612f5ef76f4/add-unread-to-the-filter

I am going to merge this one into it.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:21 AM
  • ... this is a feature we do intend to bring back. There are technical issues around why this was not originally put in this new design.

Thank you, Bryant! I'm anticipating its return! Any ETA on when that might happen?

Sunday, June 23, 2013 3:21 PM
  • Bonnie, as mentioned there are several technical challenges in bringing this feature back. Based on feedback we are prioritizing the different views in which it appears and tackling those challenges. I am hoping that we will be able to start introducing it back in some capacity starting in our next few release cycles. However, we may introduce this in waves to the prioritized views. Thanks!

Forums Program Manager

Sunday, June 23, 2013 10:13 PM
  • Are you able to revert forums to the way they were before this "upgrade"? To me this would be the best possible outcome. 

My blog

My TechNet articles

Sunday, June 23, 2013 10:20 PM
  • Thanks, Bryant! We appreciate your prompt actions to all of our complaints. We are a vocal bunch, aren't we? ;0)

Sunday, June 23, 2013 10:53 PM
  • We do really appreciate the feedback! :)

This honestly helps us continue to improve and we do want to hear it.

Forums Program Manager

Monday, June 24, 2013 7:27 PM
  • So, what do you answer on my question? What do you think about reverting forums to the previous stage and working on all the provided feedback in the meantime without affecting the users of the forums? Once all the feedback items are completed and a rigorous testing involving many MVP, moderators and MCCs done, you may upgrade the forums? The current upgrade lacks so many important features that I don't think it is fair to all the forums regulars to impose this untested and unfinished design on its users. 

My blog

My TechNet articles

Monday, June 24, 2013 7:51 PM
  • So, what do you answer on my question? What do you think about reverting forums to the previous stage and working on all the provided feedback in the meantime without affecting the users of the forums? Once all the feedback items are completed and a rigorous testing involving many MVP, moderators and MCCs done, you may upgrade the forums? The current upgrade lacks so many important features that I don't think it is fair to all the forums regulars to impose this untested and unfinished design on its users. 

I really think this should happen. Please. I'm asking nicely.
    Monday, June 24, 2013 8:17 PM
  • I can confirm this is a bug after examining the DOM of the new forums.

As long as I am NOT in "My threads", I have
    li.threadblock.viewed.newposts
    li.threadblock.viewed
    li.threadblock

When I'm in My threads, I only have
    li.threadblock

Epic failure all over...

And just for the records - I am NOT a web developer, and the guys having done this redesign don't seem to be, too.

And after the shitstorm you received, I would have expected some advice like http://userstyles.org/styles/89560/ms-technet-forums?r=1372105238

But again - epic failure. You are not regarding your users a "PART" of the forums, but rather "SERVANTS", I believe.

Martin

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))

Monday, June 24, 2013 8:29 PM
  • Agree, we need to have an "unread" option available for filtering and sorting.

One example of why this is helpful: If a thread was moved by another moderator to a forum that I am moderator for, this "new" thread (I haven't read it yet) may not be on my first page of forum messages. Because I cannot find only unread messages, I have to scroll through pages to make sure that there aren't any unread messages.

Bill

Friday, June 28, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Great! Read vs. unread will be extremely helpful.

Bill

Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:04 PM
  • The ability to differentiate between read/unread threads through font differences will also be available in the various views (My Threads, My Alerts) as it is on the home page. This will give an additional way to determine if a thread is read/unread.

Forums Program Manager

Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:16 PM
  • This should not exclude the filter. In other words, all the views should correctly show Read/Unread with the font as well as we need to have the filters I mentioned in every view.

Also, if I replied in a thread last, it should not count as unread as it does currently.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:34 PM
  • Naomi, we eventually want to have an unread filter on all of the views but will have to do this incrementally due to a few technical dependencies. The unread filter will also contain the fonts as you mentioned.

Having the thread show unread with a new reply when you are the last poster is a bug which we are currently tracking. Thanks for bringing this up! :)   

Forums Program Manager

Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:46 PM
  • Well, thanks for at least part of it, Bryant!!  But I was hoping the Unread filter would apply everywhere, not just to "My Threads". Any idea when the technical issues will be resolved on that one?

http://geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com

Friday, July 12, 2013 1:11 AM
  • Agreed. Having "unread" filter is indeed helpful for "my" views, but it would be even better if we could have "unread" for regular forum views as well.

Thanks,

Bill

Friday, July 12, 2013 2:26 PM
  • Hi Bryant,

Where are we on getting this implemented for regular forum views?

Thanks,

Bill

Friday, August 09, 2013 8:52 PM
  • Hi,

It's been 6 months since the original request. I still want "unread" as an option in regular forum views; it is something I miss from the old forum software. Is there still a chance that this is going to get implemented?

Nice to have: "Mark all as read" would also be very useful.

Thanks,

Bill

Monday, December 30, 2013 10:15 PM
  • This is still on our list of items we want to address.

Forums Program Manager

Monday, December 30, 2013 10:17 PM
  • Thanks!

Bill

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 6:04 PM
  • Hi,

I think this option is still needed. It has been nearly 9 months since the original request. Is there any update? How close are we to getting this done?

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Friday, March 14, 2014 3:45 PM
  • It's been (almost) a year. Any update on getting the ability to view only unread threads?

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Friday, June 06, 2014 9:40 PM
  • I can see your answer in IE, but not in Chrome. The layout is too narrow.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, June 06, 2014 9:50 PM
  • The layout is too narrow.

What happens if you turn off CSS?  E.g. in IE that would be View, Styles, No Style. 

FWIW I don't want to test that option myself until I am assured that I won't have to repair my "Signature" just because I want to try that toggle.  The toggle should be outside the user profile anyway IMO.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, June 09, 2014 2:38 PM