none
How to SQL Server icons in start menu (Win Server 2012 R2)

Question

• Hi Folk's,

I have an installation of SQL Server 2012 Developer Edition on Windows Server 2012 R2.  The installation was successful with the exception I have no SQL icons in the start menu - so I can't run the SQL Server Management Studio without going and looking for the executable.

Does anyone know how I can re-generate the icons. I have tried doing a repair but this did not work.

Regards

Andy

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:55 AM

Answers

• I found on windows 8.1 that there was a little arrow that appeared on the start menu, clicking this resulted in more icons appearing.  I suspect that my issue above is that the little arrow icon was not readily visible and thus I did not know to look for it.

Next time I try Server 2012 R2 I will look for this menu and I suspect that the icons will be there.

• Marked as answer by AndyW2007 Monday, November 18, 2013 2:48 AM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 2:48 AM
  • I deleted the virtual machine and did a clean install and got the same issue.   SQL Server 2012 SP1 Developer Edition does not install the icons in the start menu on Windows 2012 R2  (it works fine on Windows Server 2012).

In the Search menu if I type in SQL it just comes up with the SQL Server Installation center. 

I have checked via the installer and via the discovery report mentioned above and all features are recorded as being installed.

However, I note that the Management Studio executable is missing (and likely so are some of the others).

Hi AndyW2007,

According to your description, we need to verify if you have install SQL Server 2012 Developer Edition successfully, you can check the setup log in the following folder.
    --
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt.
    --C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\<YYYYMMDD_HHMM>\Detail.txt
    If installing well, but the icons does not show in the start menu, I recommend you can create the lnk from the following installing location.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.
    Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:06 AM

All replies

• check this,

http://kb.iweb.com/entries/23447307-Windows-Server-2012-Personalizing-the-Start-Menu

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/data-center/how-to-navigate-start-in-windows-server-2012/

Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:02 AM
  • Hello,

Please run the discovery report and make sure the SQL Server features were installed successfully. Use the following article to run the report:

http://www.sqlcoffee.com/SQLServer2012_0014.htm  

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:28 AM
  • Hi All, much thanks for the replies.

I deleted the virtual machine and did a clean install and got the same issue.   SQL Server 2012 SP1 Developer Edition does not install the icons in the start menu on Windows 2012 R2  (it works fine on Windows Server 2012).

In the Search menu if I type in SQL it just comes up with the SQL Server Installation center. 

I have checked via the installer and via the discovery report mentioned above and all features are recorded as being installed.

However, I note that the Management Studio executable is missing (and likely so are some of the others).

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:43 PM
  • I deleted the virtual machine and did a clean install and got the same issue.   SQL Server 2012 SP1 Developer Edition does not install the icons in the start menu on Windows 2012 R2  (it works fine on Windows Server 2012).

Hi AndyW2007,

According to your description, we need to verify if you have install SQL Server 2012 Developer Edition successfully, you can check the setup log in the following folder.
    --
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt.
    --C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\<YYYYMMDD_HHMM>\Detail.txt
    If installing well, but the icons does not show in the start menu, I recommend you can create the lnk from the following installing location.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.
    Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:06 AM
  • I found on windows 8.1 that there was a little arrow that appeared on the start menu, clicking this resulted in more icons appearing.  I suspect that my issue above is that the little arrow icon was not readily visible and thus I did not know to look for it.

Next time I try Server 2012 R2 I will look for this menu and I suspect that the icons will be there.

• Marked as answer by AndyW2007 Monday, November 18, 2013 2:48 AM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 2:48 AM
  • Hi,

I can only confirm, that an Installation of SQL Server 2012 on Windows Server 2012 does not make the program Icons available (SQL Server configuration Manager, SQL Server data Tools, etc.).

This is very annoying. I had to search for the executables for every program.

Somebody from MS must know how to correct this? This certainly isn't how it should be.

Regards

Andi

Andreas

Monday, July 28, 2014 11:54 AM