none
How to display a different label for Placeholder?

Question

• I have a SSRS 2008R2 RDL with a Placeholder.  I am trying to change the label display to be a different value than "Value".  How do I do this?  I have one field named followups_note_text that I want as the value of a parameter for its Action, but I have another field called Incident_Control_number that I want displayed from the main RDL.  How do I do this?  Both are VARCHAR datatypes.

Ryan D

Thursday, January 09, 2014 11:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Ryan,

When we click a hyperlink that uses "javascript:void(window.open('URL','_blank'))", whether it open a new window or a new tab depends on the Internet Explorer Tabs settings. In IE, if we set the "When a pop-up is encountered" item to "Let Internet Explorer decide how pop-ups should open" or "Always open pop-ups in a new tab", it will open the pop-up in a new tab. If we select the "Always open pop-ups in a new window" option, it will open the pop-up in a new window. In your scenario, I am afraid that you have to make sure the IE have selected the "Always open pop-ups in a new window" option in your machine. Then it will achieve your requirement.

The following article about “How to Set a Popup Window to Open in a New Tab in IE9” is for your reference:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4523.internet-explorer-9-ie9-how-to-set-a-popup-window-to-open-in-a-new-tab.aspx

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by ironryan77 Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:56 PM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 5:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Ryan,

In order to trouble shoot this issue more efficiently, I need to clarify some information.

• What’s the meaning of “display a different label than Value”, could you please post an expression (invalid is okay) or a screenshot to explain it?
    • Is there a parameter that get values from the followups_note_text field? Or it means that you add an action in the textbox which contains the followups_note_text field?
    • Are you want to display the Incident_Control_number field in a placeholder or others?
    • What results are you want to get in the report?

If there are any misunderstanding, please elaborate the issue for further investigation.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

Katherine Xiong

Monday, January 13, 2014 8:45 AM
  • Thank you.  I changed my code so now I have two fields: Event_Log_ID and Incident_Control_Number.  Here is my current output:

As you can see, this isn't too helpful since it is the unique identifier code.  Instead I want to display the Control Number:

This is the placeholder properties for this field:

Incident_Control_Number is the name of this field representing value 0000033511.

Event_Log_ID is the name of the field representing 17BB432B-42F0-4E60-9D00-51AEC0E60679.

So I want this hyperlink to appear with the Incident_Control_Number value, but I want the Action to be based on parameter value from the Event_Log_ID field.  Make sense?

Ryan D

Monday, January 13, 2014 2:55 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your post.

Based on your latest reply, we can refer to the steps below to achieve your requirement:

1. Right-click the Placeholder to open the Placeholder Properties dialog box.
    2. In the General tab, type [Incident_Control_Number] in the Value drop-down list.
    3. Click Action tab, enable Go to report option as an action.
    4. Select the report name as the specified report.
    5. Add a parameter below to run the report:
      Name: Parameter_name    Value: [Event_Log_ID]

The following screenshot is for your reference:

If there are any misunderstanding, please elaborate the issue for further investigation.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

Katherine Xiong

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 5:38 AM
  • Thank you, Katherine!  This works, but I forgot to mention something.  I want this to popup a new window with the subreport instead.  I was using a javascript in the Go to URL section to do this:

="javascript:void(window.open('http://evolvssrs/ReportServer/Pages/ReportViewer.aspx?%2fIncoming%2fACO Details 25oct13&rs:Command=Render&EventLogID="&Fields!Event_Log_ID.Value &"','_blank'))"

How can I do this?

Ryan D

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 3:16 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

After testing your issue in my local environment, you can refer to the steps below to achieve your requirement:

1. Right-click the Placeholder to open the Placeholder Properties dialog box.
    2. Click Action tab, enable Go to URL option as an action.
    3. Click fx button, then type the expression you posted in Select URL textbox.

The following screenshot is for your reference:

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

Katherine Xiong

Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:14 AM
  • No, this is the same way I had it before I posted this problem.  That is going back to the way I had it originally.  My URL just makes it popup in the SAME window.

Ryan D

Thursday, January 16, 2014 10:55 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

After testing it in my own environment, we can go to URL with this hyperlink that uses "javascript:void(window.open('URL','_blank'))", it will open a new window or a new tab.

Besides, whether it open a new window or a new tab depends on the Internet Explorer Tabs settings. In IE, if we set the "When a pop-up is encountered" item to "Let Internet Explorer decide how pop-ups should open" or "Always open pop-ups in a new tab", it will open the pop-up in a new tab. If we select the "Always open pop-ups in a new window" option, it will open the pop-up in a new window. So we should select the "Always open pop-ups in a new window" option to achieve your requirement.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong 

Katherine Xiong

Friday, January 17, 2014 1:21 AM
  • Katherine,

I tried what you recommended but this didn't work.  Where can I find this setting in IE?  Instead, I went to Tools->Pop-up blocker and I turned off the Pop-up blocker.  This is for IE 9.

Secondly, I want a solution that doesn't involve making a change to IE since I don't want my report users to have to change their IE settings.  How can I achieve this via SSRS, Javascript, or some other language in order to open into a new browser?

When I disabled the Pop-up blocker as described above, it still opened in the same window.

Ryan D

Friday, January 17, 2014 3:02 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

When we click a hyperlink that uses "javascript:void(window.open('URL','_blank'))", whether it open a new window or a new tab depends on the Internet Explorer Tabs settings. In IE, if we set the "When a pop-up is encountered" item to "Let Internet Explorer decide how pop-ups should open" or "Always open pop-ups in a new tab", it will open the pop-up in a new tab. If we select the "Always open pop-ups in a new window" option, it will open the pop-up in a new window. In your scenario, I am afraid that you have to make sure the IE have selected the "Always open pop-ups in a new window" option in your machine. Then it will achieve your requirement.

The following article about “How to Set a Popup Window to Open in a New Tab in IE9” is for your reference:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4523.internet-explorer-9-ie9-how-to-set-a-popup-window-to-open-in-a-new-tab.aspx

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

Katherine Xiong

• Marked as answer by ironryan77 Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:56 PM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 5:27 AM
  • This was very helpful, but I tried the suggestions in this link above and it still doesn't open in a new tab or window.  But I've spent enough time on this problem and I don't have time now to test out other scenarios.  Are there any other settings I might check or other workarounds?  I appreciate your help!

Ryan D

Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:57 PM