How to resolve "Access to the port is denied" error?

Question

• When trying to set up a new Team Project (or when running the Best Practices Analyzer) for TFS 2008, I keep getting this error:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1334
    Date:  3/4/2008
    Time:  10:50:21 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: TEAMSYS
    Description:
    An unhandled exception occurred and the process was terminated.

Application ID: /LM/W3SVC/1843996332/Root

Process ID: 2780

Exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException

StackTrace:    at System.IO.Ports.InternalResources.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
       at System.IO.Ports.InternalResources.WinIOError()
       at System.Threading.Semaphore..ctor(Int32 initialCount, Int32 maximumCount, String name)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.BlobCache.GetCacheTokenThreadStart()
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Any ideas how to fix this?  (Is there some permissions that need to be granted to a specific user account?  If so, which one?)

Thanks,

Dave F. Baskin

Stanza Corporation

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 4:16 AM

Answers

• Ok, I think I've resolved this issue.  My understanding was that the TFS installation would take care of the configuration of SQL Reporting Services.  Well, it appears that it doesn't quite set everything up correctly.

I ran Reporting Services Configuration, and did the following:

1. Used IIS Manager to change the service account of the Report Server application pool from NETWORK SERVICE to the same service account as I was using for MOSS and TFS.
    2. Started Report Services Configuration, selected the Web Service Identity tab and verified that the Report Server application pool was used for both the Report Server and Report Manager applications.  Then I selected 'Apply' (this, I believe, assigns the proper permissions to the service account).
    3. Restarted IIS.

At this point, I could then browse to http://teamsys/Reports/Pages/Folder.aspx.

Maybe I missed the instructions in the installation guide for configuring Reporting Services AFTER installing TFS.

Saturday, March 08, 2008 3:02 AM

All replies

• i got the same exception as well as stacktrace.

what's the problem?

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 4:12 PM
  • Hello Dave,

Could you please check if the user has the admin permission on the Sharepoint Server?

If you are using WSS 3.0

Try to add a user or group to the Farm Administrators group and the Site Collection Administrators group in Windows SharePoint Services 3.0

More in How to: Set Team Foundation Server Administrator Permissions

And could you please check the port assignment of Sharepoint and Sharepoint Administrative Site.

More in  How to: Verify or Correct Port Assignments

How to: Verify or Correct IP Address and Domain Name Restrictions

Also please check if there is any firewall blocking the port used by the Sharepoint Site and the Sharepoint Administrative Site.

Good luck.

Friday, March 07, 2008 6:22 AM
  •  

Looking through the "How to: Set Team Foundation Server Administrator Permissions" document, I verified that the my user account was in the Team Foundation Administrator's security group and in the Farm Administrator's group and the Site Collections Administrator's group.

It's when I try navigating to the URL:

http://teamsys/Reports/Pages/Folder.aspx

I get the following warning in the event log, followed by the same error as described above:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
    Event Category: Web Event
    Event ID: 1310
    Date:  3/7/2008
    Time:  2:36:24 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: TEAMSYS
    Description:
    Event code: 3008
    Event message: A configuration error has occurred.
    Event time: 3/7/2008 2:36:24 PM
    Event time (UTC): 3/7/2008 7:36:24 PM
    Event ID: 05acfe59c0b54b568ec8a57d0975d786
    Event sequence: 2
    Event occurrence: 1
    Event detail code: 0

Application information:
        Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1843996332/root/Reports-1-128493921795750514
        Trust level: RosettaMgr
        Application Virtual Path: /Reports
        Application Path: c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\Reporting Services\ReportManager\
        Machine name: TEAMSYS

Process information:
        Process ID: 1404
        Process name: w3wp.exe
        Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:
        Exception type: ConfigurationErrorsException
        Exception message: Cannot use 'partitionResolver' unless the mode is 'StateServer' or 'SQLServer'. (C:\MOSSData\StanzaCorp\web.config line 179)

Request information:
        Request URL: http://teamsys/Reports/Pages/Folder.aspx
        Request path: /Reports/Pages/Folder.aspx
        User host address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 
        User: 
        Is authenticated: False
        Authentication Type: 
        Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Thread information:
        Thread ID: 1
        Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
        Is impersonating: False
        Stack trace:    at System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.InitPartitionResolver(SessionStateSection config)
       at System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.InitModuleFromConfig(HttpApplication app, SessionStateSection config)
       at System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.Init(HttpApplication app)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.InitModulesCommon()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.InitInternal(HttpContext context, HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers)
       at System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetNormalApplicationInstance(HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetApplicationInstance(HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr)

It looks like some kind of configuration problem with Report Server on MOSS.  Any ideas on how I might fix this?

Thanks,

-Dave

Friday, March 07, 2008 8:06 PM
  • I found this entry:

http://rfinn.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!4E19D0E183DFC38B!180.entry

that describes the same problem.  So I copied the <sessionState> element:

<sessionState mode="SQLServer" timeout="60" allowCustomSqlDatabase="true" partitionResolverType="Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.SqlSessionStateResolver, Microsoft.Office.Server, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" />

from the web.config of the MOSS site to the Reports sub-site.  (The ReportsServer sub-site has session state disabled, so I didn't modify it.)

I then restarted IIS and tried the Reports url again.  This time I didn't get the configuration error, but I did get the "Access to the port is denied" error.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Dave

Friday, March 07, 2008 8:39 PM
  • Friday, March 07, 2008 9:25 PM
  • Ok, I think I've resolved this issue.  My understanding was that the TFS installation would take care of the configuration of SQL Reporting Services.  Well, it appears that it doesn't quite set everything up correctly.

I ran Reporting Services Configuration, and did the following:

1. Used IIS Manager to change the service account of the Report Server application pool from NETWORK SERVICE to the same service account as I was using for MOSS and TFS.
    2. Started Report Services Configuration, selected the Web Service Identity tab and verified that the Report Server application pool was used for both the Report Server and Report Manager applications.  Then I selected 'Apply' (this, I believe, assigns the proper permissions to the service account).
    3. Restarted IIS.

At this point, I could then browse to http://teamsys/Reports/Pages/Folder.aspx.

Maybe I missed the instructions in the installation guide for configuring Reporting Services AFTER installing TFS.

Saturday, March 08, 2008 3:02 AM
  • Hi Guys,

Had the exact same thing happen to me today. I had used a seperate domain account for my SSP creation, and had no trouble with the creation itself. Problem happened when I clicked on the SSP link. Decided to put the account (used to create SSP) under the Owner group permission in Central Administration. Having no problems now, am pleased to note.

Do you guys think this approach is safe? Is there an alternate, more secure approach? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

- Harish Mathanan -

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 3:17 AM
  • This has worked for me after recently upgrading from SharePoint 2003 to SharePoint 2007.  Even though the ApplicationsAppPool app pool worked well with the Network Service account before the SharePoint upgrade, after the upgrade I had to switch it to use the same domain account used by MOSS. Now I no longer get the "Access to port is denied" error. Thanks!
    Monday, January 18, 2010 9:53 PM