How to install MVSX in Windows 8

Question

• How do I install Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 in Windows 8?  I found the link, and ran it.  It thinks about a second and then gives me a failure:

Setup Blocked - The computer needs to be restarted before setup can continue.  Please restart the computer and run setup again.

So I hit the power button, shut down, and hit the power button again, and powered back up.  Same result (Setup Blocked).  If Windows 8 has a Restart 1/0 option, I have not yet found it, so the more traditional manual button seems to be the only way to get this on/off thing to happen.

So what is the trick here?

• Moved by Cindy Meister MVPMVP Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:55 PM VS Express, not VSTO or Office related (From:Visual Studio Tools for Office)
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:46 PM

Answers

• OK.  I figured it out.  Windows 8 does the same thing as Vista, it still holds updates until the system is powered off and restarted.  VSX will not install until those updates are installed, so you have to do a Restart on a brand new computer after Windows 8 has obtained all the latest / greatest software updates.  The Restart function in Windows 8 is not hidden in the Charms > Gear > Power 1/0.  This lets you get the system to go through a Restart and get the updates loaded, AND THEN FINALLY VSX will install.
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 8:34 PM

All replies

• OK.  I figured it out.  Windows 8 does the same thing as Vista, it still holds updates until the system is powered off and restarted.  VSX will not install until those updates are installed, so you have to do a Restart on a brand new computer after Windows 8 has obtained all the latest / greatest software updates.  The Restart function in Windows 8 is not hidden in the Charms > Gear > Power 1/0.  This lets you get the system to go through a Restart and get the updates loaded, AND THEN FINALLY VSX will install.
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 8:34 PM
  • Hi ALW LG,

Glad to hear that your VS has been installed successfully.

Regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, November 02, 2012 5:18 AM