none
SQL upgrade/migration question

Question

• Hi

I realize this is a remedial question, but I need it to be answered in print form.  When you perform an in-place upgrade of a database are the user databases upgraded automatically?

Thanks quite a bit.

Pam

Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:48 PM

Answers

• Upgrading an instance is an all or nothing process.  Upgrading an instance will upgrade all databases that are attached to that instance at the time of the upgrade.  The same thing would happen if you restored a database from a previous version. 

Just to be explicitly clear - after the upgrade it will no longer be possible to restore or move (i.e., detach and attach) your user databases to an older version of sql server. 

• Proposed as answer by Shanky_621 Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by pskubal1 Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:19 PM
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:57 PM

All replies

• If you perform an in place upgrade then your user databases WILL be upgraded...  BUT the compatibility level of your database will NOT change.

Therefore yes...  they will get upgraded and you will no longer be able to restore them to a lower version of SQL Server...  but to make full use of new features (such as new t-sql etc) you would have to them manually change the compatibility level of each one.

Hopefully that makes sense.

• Unmarked as answer by pskubal1 Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:19 PM
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Upgrading an instance is an all or nothing process.  Upgrading an instance will upgrade all databases that are attached to that instance at the time of the upgrade.  The same thing would happen if you restored a database from a previous version. 

Just to be explicitly clear - after the upgrade it will no longer be possible to restore or move (i.e., detach and attach) your user databases to an older version of sql server. 

Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:57 PM
  • Thank you both very much for your clear answers.  This will help me a lot
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:19 PM