FTP Server Client Application

Question

• Hi,

I'm working on a program that needs to share files with several clients. I chose to use FTP for performance and flexibility. There are quite a lot of client FTP samples on the net but in this application(we have a server app. and a client app.), I should implement the server too. To be clear, the server app. should be able to configure the system to be a FTP server on a clean windows machine. The clients then connect to the FTP server using .NET sockets and the rest of story...

Is there a component, tutorial or suggestion to help creating the client/server FTP application easily?

Saturday, February 03, 2007 3:41 PM

All replies

• Implementing any protocol from scratch is not easy. You need to address concurrency, connections, timelimits, security, etc.
    I suggest that you look into other ways of handling this. For example, you could perhaps host a HTTP Server with the
    HTTPListener in .NET 2.0. With in a few lines you can whip up an HTTP Server and using the URL, path and query
    you can serve files with HTTP.

Saturday, February 03, 2007 5:15 PM
  • Thanks Gorti, I've found some useful piece of codes for FTP server. Anyhow, Do you think that HTTP is fast and flexible enough for large files?
    Saturday, February 03, 2007 9:52 PM
  • Its up to you. Don't assume that the code you copied from somewhere always works.
    As I said, throwing something together is one thing and expecting it to work reliably is another thing.
    You should use trusted stable reliable implementations.
    Yes HTTP is as stable as FTP for reliable implementations

Saturday, February 03, 2007 10:02 PM