none
detect if number can receive SMS/MMS

Answers

• The answer to all three is "you can't."

In some nations the phone carriers may have a block of numbers preallocated for use as land line or mobile phones but that will be the best you can do.  Here in the USA I can move my number from a mobile phone to a land line or IP line with ease.  As for SMS and MMS capabilities you can't determine that either. Believe it or not there are some land line providers that allow their customers to receive SMS on their home phones (comes across as a voice mail).
    Joel Ivory Johnson
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    • Proposed as answer by Paul Diston Saturday, November 07, 2009 8:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by ZHE ZHAO Friday, November 13, 2009 3:15 AM
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 12:17 AM

All replies

• The answer to all three is "you can't."

In some nations the phone carriers may have a block of numbers preallocated for use as land line or mobile phones but that will be the best you can do.  Here in the USA I can move my number from a mobile phone to a land line or IP line with ease.  As for SMS and MMS capabilities you can't determine that either. Believe it or not there are some land line providers that allow their customers to receive SMS on their home phones (comes across as a voice mail).
    Joel Ivory Johnson
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    • Proposed as answer by Paul Diston Saturday, November 07, 2009 8:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by ZHE ZHAO Friday, November 13, 2009 3:15 AM
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 12:17 AM
  • I guess this would be hard to answer. For example in the Philippines all mobile phone numbers have a 3 digit area code, and one can be almost sure that it can send SMS, and be completely sure it can receive SMS. But in Denmark for example, you have an existing mobile phone number converted to a land line, and vice versa.

Saturday, November 07, 2009 9:26 PM
  • can we just ask(programatically) the operator if that number can receive SMS/MMS?
    Rype :: book, do, charge, collect, track time, track expenses and invoice easily on the go.
    Available on Windows, Windows Mobile, iPhone, Macintosh.
    http://www.rypenow.com
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Not unless your carrier(s) decide to expose that information through a web service for you.  You would need to check with them on that.
    Joel Ivory Johnson
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 3:12 AM