Disable Driver Signature Verification

Question

• I'd like to install a driver for testing that has not been verified by Microsoft on Windows Developer Preview. I am able to install the driver after getting a prompt that the driver has not been verified. The installation completes successfully, but I'm told that the driver may not work correctly because Windows cannot verify the digital signature. The driver shows up in Device Manager with a yellow exclamation point, and my tests with the driver all indicate that the driver cannot be found. I have found ways to get around this in Windows 7, but have not been able to find a solution for Windows Developer Preview. Help please?  
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 9:55 PM

Answers

• Thanks Marilyn and Hadron for your responses. It turns out I finally came across the solution I was looking for shortly after posting this. Here's what I did:

Open a command prompt as an admin and type:

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS (hit Enter)

bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON (hit Enter)

I might have rebooted after that. That put the machine in test mode, like I was going for, and allowed me to install the unverified test driver.

Hadron -- I read a lot of posts that said try F8 or Shift+F8, but that didn't do anything for me. It didn't bring up any sort of menu where I could choose to start without driver signature verification.

~Daman
    • Marked as answer by DaMan11 Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:46 PM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:46 PM

All replies

• Since this is just a preview and not a released product (not even a Beta product), not all drivers are signed or going to work with the operating system. 
    Be sure you have downloaded the most current Windows 7 driver for your system.

You may be able to install drivers that are designed for other versions of Windows by using the compatibility troubleshooter.
    You can try this troubleshooter by:
    ·         Enter the Start screen
    ·         Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    ·         Select Search
    ·         Type Compatibility
    ·         Click Settings in the right column
    ·         Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows 

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver/drivers.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 12:23 AM
  • Hello,

Do I understand it like the good old trick with LGPO (Local Group Policy Object) does not work anymore?

I mean, what if you run the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), go to User Configuration|Administrative Templates|System|Driver Installation and set the Code signing for device drivers policy to Disabled.

Run gpupdate when changed the policy to get it applied.

Or, if it does not work (because the policy only seems to work on NT5), try restarting the system, pressing F8 when on boot menu and choosing option to start without driver signature verification. Try Shift+F8 as well.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 8:27 AM
  • Thanks Marilyn and Hadron for your responses. It turns out I finally came across the solution I was looking for shortly after posting this. Here's what I did:

Open a command prompt as an admin and type:

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS (hit Enter)

bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON (hit Enter)

I might have rebooted after that. That put the machine in test mode, like I was going for, and allowed me to install the unverified test driver.

Hadron -- I read a lot of posts that said try F8 or Shift+F8, but that didn't do anything for me. It didn't bring up any sort of menu where I could choose to start without driver signature verification.

~Daman
    • Marked as answer by DaMan11 Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:46 PM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:46 PM