error 1730 when I am an administrator

Question

• I am trying to uninstall a vpn client because it is not working well so that I can reinstall it.  I am getting "Error 1730.  You must be an administrator to remove this application."  I am the only administrator.  There was a post on a microsoft page that offered no help - system restore, but I have no idea when this problem arose since I haven't tried to uninstall anything.  I am about to go back to XP, except Vista is what came with my Dell against my desire and I don't want to have to wipe the whole thing clean and se the system up.
    Friday, January 11, 2008 1:52 AM

All replies

• I should have known, and I can't believe that no one posted this on other pages with this problem.  I turned off user account control, and it let me do it with no problem.  I suppose I'll turn it back on, even though it's just a pain.  There is obviously a problem here with Vista.
    • Proposed as answer by spiffer00 Monday, July 27, 2009 6:19 AM
    Friday, January 11, 2008 2:05 AM
  • Thanks Microgator!

I know the original post was a few months ago but today I had the exact same problem.  I was trying to unistall Dell Control Center and keep getting the ""Error 1730: You must be an Administrator to remove this application. To remove this application, you can log on as an administrator, or contact your technical support group for assistance."

There was only one user on that computer and it was the Admin, so I Googled "Vista 1730 Error" and got this forum.  I then followed Microgator's directions and I turn off the User Account Control (UAC), rebooted, and successfully unistalled the program.  This is clearly a bug in the Vista operating system.

A quick recap on how to turn off the User Account Control (UAC) for those might not remember:

Click on Windows logo (start menu)

Next click on Control Panel

Now Type "User Account" in search box

Next click on "Turn User Account Control (UAC) OFF"

You will now have to reboot the system

Once rebooted you should be able to uninstall the program

Once unistalled you can turn UAC back on (if you want) and reboot the system

I hope this is helpful for anyone experiencing the same "BUG" that Microgator and I encountered.

Best Regards,

Thursday, April 17, 2008 8:42 PM
  • microgator if you're still subscribed to this thread,

thanks a lot !!

I'd spent a couple of hours struggling with uninstalling something as well until my two brain cells decided to google. Early since starting to use Vista denials of access had been a problem that kept me thinking Microsoft must surely have provided a way of opting out of this extra 'potection' but then they may have some 'business' reasons not to as well. Feel so happy to have finally got this sorted.

• Edited by spiffer00 Monday, July 27, 2009 4:48 PM
    Monday, July 27, 2009 6:18 AM